1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chains on blacktop

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by LwnmwrMan22, Sep 15, 2013.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Here are my thoughts.

Running a Kubota M6040 with an 8' box on the loader arms.

Using for plowing banks, strip malls, smaller gas station (not truck stop by any means).

Running around locally, no trailering.

Right now I have turf tires on the tractor, we use it for mowing in the summer.

I have chains that I've used in the past for working in the woods in the winter for plowing snow.

My question is, if I run these chains on the blacktop, yes, I already know I'll run the chains down quickly, but will I damage the blacktop.

I have a 7' blower for the back that will be on the tractor as well.

My other option is different Ag tires / rims, but it's impossible to find used, and I don't think I want to stick $4,000 into rims / tires for the tractor.
  2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I can guarantee you at the very least they'll "mark" it. And that might be all that happens with your set up. In the worst case they'll start tearing it up, especially if you spin (notwithstanding the light tractor you have with superwide tires).

So the question you have to ask yourself is "Will my clients complain (read demand recompense) for marred/marked asphalt/"