1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chains for Icy Steep Hills

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mopard, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I'm looking at some very steep roadways this year with little room or level area at the bottom to work with so looking at some type of traction aid. I plow plenty of steep, challenging roadways/drives but the new stuff will be pushing it during the occasional thaws or winter rains. What are you guys using for chains or other methods? I can't seem to find any 33" tall 17" tires that are studded ... and I already have a new set of BFG ATs ready to go anyhow that work fantastic ... just like to be prepared for inevitable glare ice.
    Which specific chains work best on ice? easiest to install and remove as I only need them for about 20 mins about midpoint of my route then have to take them back off. Any other ideas? tia

2. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

I bought a set of chains from this place: http://www.tirechainsupply.com/

I have two 3/4 pickups and we plow driveways. We had 2 very large storms last year, and the chains provided amazing traction. They did scratch up a couple of driveways, so be careful. If they spin, they will grind right through the pavement. I bought the v-bar style, so they are probably extra rough on the pavement. I put a pair on the rear tires of one truck. Pretty cheap investment for the traction improvement.

I'd practice mounting and removing before it snows.

3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

V bar chains are awesome and will last longer if you run them much on the hot top. Make sure you run plenty of weight in back.

5. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Thanks guys ... decided to try the Trygg Super 2000 chains.