1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chains and a Detroit Locker

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BenB, Nov 4, 2010.

1. BenB

BenB Member

I'm looking into a 1985 Army M1008 Truck to plow with and have a couple questions about the Detroit Locker.

I'm in Anchorage and my gravel driveway is about 800ft and gains 160 vertical feet with two switchbacks. I'm usually plowing slow, 10-15mph if that, until I get to the gravel road that I'll sometimes clear a short stretch of if the city hasn't been by. Right now I plow with my brother-in-laws 1984 Blazer with chains on all four wheels, I think it has a posi in the rear. From what I've read the Detroit lockers will let the truck side slip, and since the driveway has hardly any stretch of flat ground that would be a constant problem.

Will running chains with the detroit help at all or should I just keep looking for a truck with a limited slip?

Thanks

2. upst8ny

upst8ny Junior Member

If your plowing with a posi now, I dont see a problem plowing with a locker.
    I would think if you are chained you would be just fine