1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chainging oil on unimount pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jayrock, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jayrock

jayrock Junior Member

can anybody tell me the correct way to change the oil on my pump,i have the filter and gasket already also what oil to use western or tranny fluid any help would be great

2. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

On mine I have to remove the bottom bolt holding the unit to the frame. Then remove the drain plug and the level fill plug. I like to remove the fill plug too. After the oil has drained. remove the hyd. lines, one at a time, from the valve manifold, and place in a drain pan. Then manually move the blade back and forth to remove oil from the lines. Replace the lines and the drain plug. If you want, remove the motor and replace the filter on the pump. Fill with Western fluid or another quality plow oil. I would never recommend ATF, though others on this site will say it's fine. The "good" stuff isn't that expensive, considering it is the life blood of your entire system. After filling. move the plow left, then right several times. Recheck the fluid. Then up and down being sure to put the ram in float and push all the way down each time. Check fluid again and you should be good to go.

That is how I do mine so take it for what it's worth......

3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I do mine the same way.
    2 things that I would add is that I usually drop the center of the blade on a 2X4 so it is easier to move back and forth with the lines disconnected, and tie rags around the hoses to baffle the flow.

4. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Never have used anything but ATF for all my plows.....but you may be a bit colder than us here....

5. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

i have heard the newer plows dont work very well with regular ATF and that you should spend the little more money for the western fluid .....as they say its better to be safe than sorry!