1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chain vs hydralic lift system

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by g-landscaping, Dec 25, 2008.

1. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

what are the pros and cons of having a chain lift system and pros and cons of having a hydralic lift system
  2. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

everyone is gonna tell you you can stack higher with a chain lift and if the hydro pump goes out you can drive the plow up into a snow bank and short chain the plow and get home.... Well after finally using a hydo lift plow over the weekend, i can tell you I see no difference. Buddys plow broke and we drove it up a snow bank, the frame had a place underneath the hyrdo ramp to put a pin to hold the plow up and bingo moved the plow.... Im sure older hydro lift plows sucked for break downs and stacking, but nowadays id really have to say they are almost the same
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like a chain lift myself wesport
  4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Never tired the Hydraulic style, so I'll put this as a question and see what the answer comes back.

How is the hydraulic for floating, I know with the chain, it's basically able to float right away once you drop the blade, and it floats up and down with the pavement excellent.
  5. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

I know one of my accounts there is a huge drop down in the loading area, probably 45* slope, did it with both a chain lift and hydro lift and it handled it just the same. Basically need to remember that a float works on a chain lifting my releasing the pressure in the cylinder, it does the exact same thing on a hyrdo plow so any weight on chain/hydro is going to pull it the ram down

Ive been raised on chain lifts and will still probably always like chain lifts more, but I did buy my first hydro plow a few weeks ago so....
  6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i like chain...
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Now that I own both chain lift and pure hydro...HYDRO ALL THE WAY.

You can "short chain" any plow.

My hiniker will go way higher in the air then my chain, so I don't see how the ram lift chain can outstack a pure cylinder lift.

I actually laugh at my thread I started...because now I realize the hydro lift has the advantage for sure...plus just look at the companies that don't use a chain...boss, snoway, blizzard, hiniker, all top notch.

Check this thread out that I started a while ago.

Never used a fisher or western....but IMO, they just seem like glorified meyer plows.
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

glorified meyers huh ?
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I got both I like the hydro.
  10. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Have both. The biggest diff. hydro has a direct connection. Go over a set of R/R tracks with a chain plow and the plow will jump up and down. Hydro stays with the frame of the truck