1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chain vs Direct, Hiniker vs Western. HELP

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by spencer087, Oct 28, 2010.

1. spencer087

spencer087 Member

OK, this will be my first year plowing with a truck. I have been plowing with a small utility tractor and have decided to get a truck plow as i have gained many accounts. I have a 2010 Dodge 3500 DRW regular cab 6 speed the plow will be going on. I mainly would like to know your thoughts on a plow? We mainly have Western and Hiniker so that brings me to a few questions.

Hiniker- Are the brand new ones still breaking forks???

Western- They have a vplow i can get where hiniker does not. But it has chain lift.

What are the differences between direct and chain lift? Besides Short chaining and obvious one lifts with a chain and one scissor type.

I would mainly like to know why people dont like the chain lift or they like direct lift better?

Thank you all!

2. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

hiniker does make a v plow check it www.hiniker.com

chain lifts are good incase your lift quits and you can chain it up to limp home

direct lift is great if you want instant movement when you hit the controls

just an fyi my expierence is mostly meyer and boss and very little western and none on hiniker
    since i and my friends mostly use boss and meyer

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I have a new western ultra mount its way better then a hinker

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I really really REALLY get tired of hearing this excuse for chain lift

If you plow you probably have or should have a tow strap or chain in the truck for when you get stuck. Why cant you use that to hold the plow up?

drive the plow into a pile of snow so it rides up on the snow and use your tow strap/chain to hold the plow up.

5. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

If you buy the emergency kit from any of the major companies it comes with a ratchet strap for the direct lift. For events with too small of piles to get lift, use you emergency truck jack and find a good spot on the frame, try to use something to keep the blade from falling off of the jack (I've used stacked bags of salt. Then put the ratchet on when you have it lifted. Ratchet until it is where you need. Then you can move.

The chain just helps with having a contained unit. Boss is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than Hiniker. I tested one when I was in NY on a trip. It is a quality plow, but I would recommend going another route (unless their C-plow appeals to you, then stick with hiniker and keep the same mounting system). Hiniker doesn't have anything special other than their C.

IHdriver and I kinda just went through this in another thread. If you want insta-touch go Boss. No one else compares. If you want chain lift and full hydraulic (front, back, left, right) movement then go with Meyer. I have a lot of areas with very few places to put snow and a big need for stacking. Since I travel on Main St. a lot I use a pickup. I chose Meyer because of the full hydraulic return. Boss has springs to return the V. If you stack high in small spots, it may be appealing to have these other motions in order to "walk" your plow out of a pile. I have done it before with straight blades and it beats calling another truck off of route to get unstuck!

Here is what I would do......
    direct lift
    -Boss
    -Hiniker
    -blizzard
    (in that order)

chain lift
    -Meyer
    -Western (bleh!)
    -Fisher
    (in that order)

and then if you do driveways, there's SnoWay with their "downforce" system.

6. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Oh, and don't forget dealer support!!!!!!!!!!!! Who are your local dealers?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dealer support is very important, especially if you are not very familiar with plows. There are a couple recent threads comparing the Hiniker Vee to the Western Vee.

The Western wouldn't be my first choice....

8. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I hear that! I'm a pretty die hard meyer guy. I've gone just about every route to save money or to get quality... and it brings me back to Meyer. Try Snow Dogg...I have one and it is a sweet plow. Their MD75 is the best out there when it comes to utility/quality/and ease on the wallet. I just hate their mounting system. Can't stand that POS jack. Everything else is awesome. I'd compare snow dogg to a mix of Boss and Meyer, which equals one Bad A$$ plow.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

yes sir! :salute: I'd use a ratchet strap

10. PLOWMAN45

Western over meyer yeah right

11. spencer087

spencer087 Member

i knew about the tow strap thing and i carry all that on my truck to pull lawn mowers unstuck and to tie down landscape materials. I have a lawn and landscape businessand i decided to get into plowing mainly because there are not that many guys around here that do it (we dont get much snow). Last year a gas station begged me to plow they couldnt find anyone to bid! as far as dealers im VERY limited

One dealer sells Hiniker and Western

Meyer lists a dealer here also but i dont think they have anything in stock. Ive never heard of them to carry snow plows.

I knew about Hinikers v plow it looks nice but according to them it is too heavy to be put on my truck :(

Westerns v plow 8.5 MVP isin't listed as too heavy according to them.

The nearest boss dealer is 3.5 hours away from me if you run 70 on the highway :(

Is there any other downfall to a chain lift besides waiting for it too lift? how long do you have to wait?

Are the newer hinikers still breaking mounts?

Thank you all for the replies

12. PLOWMAN45

are you in a race i mean if its secind diffrence waiting for chain to lift mine are fast

13. spencer087

spencer087 Member

No no race i was just wondering how long because iv'e seen people say that before on this site. (waiting on chain lift) I just watched the video on the Western Pro Plus and MVP Plus and their Ultra mount. Impressive. The hiniker looks impressive as well. The western looks better built though? the torsion bars and the bar going across the bottom. Also i like how the plow can pivot independent of the mount (like my kubota ZD's)

What are the downfalls of the western? are they having any issues?

Does anyone know if hiniker is still breaking mounts? that really scares me i don't want to be going down the highway and my plow fall off and cause a huge accident

14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have seen a couple hiniker v blades in person at the dealer, i have to say they look like they are built decent, however the thought of the mounts breaking scares me away from them. when i need my plow i need it, i dont have time to wait for a dealer to get a part or what not thats why i bought a boss!

15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

you wont be dissapointed in the western. the hydros are very fast by the time you stop to change gears the plow will be up.

16. PLOWMAN45

the 2 westerns we have one is 6 years and is 1 year old there hasnt been any problems and i need something i can to dealer or napa

17. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

If you want a direct lift get The Boss. Stay away from Hiniker. There fork design is pi$$ poor. Chain lift I would do a Western.

18. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Noone sells boss in my area. Nearest dealer is in Kansas City (3.5 hours away)

Some of the chevy dealers are selling trucks with boss v's attached. But no dealer support for a boss around here all of that is done at the motorpool.

What is the benefit of a direct lift over a chain lift?

19. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

The only benefit that I have been able to come away with for the direct lift over the chain is supposedly there isn't as much bounce when you are riding with the plow at a lowered height for airflow to the radiator (i.e. going over railroad tracks, causing a heavy bounce). Though I am sure that there will probably be a good bounce with any system if you hit those bumps too hard. I personally like the pump location on the chain lift systems because it is up a little higher keeping a little more direct moisture off of it. The bottom line comes down to dealer support in your area, then quality of product as it appeals to you. On a 3500 you should be good for any plow that is around 1000# or less IMO.

20. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

The only real benefit is response from the controller....And some chain lift plows have "chain slap" where they bounce when they hit. I have never had chain slap though, and I even had the Lowes version of a chain plow a while back..... It made me $1200 a day in my pocket and never needed service LOL. but ya that POS didn't even have chain slap, and chain slap can be an easy adjustment of the chain!

I like my chain lift plows.... but if you get frustrated easily with a non-instant feedback system you will want direct lift. I know so many people who like the direct lift just because their personality...a lot of guys are impatient. Just go out and try them out. If the dealer doesn't have one mounted on a vehicle to play with, call you competitors and see if they will let you play! you may have to pay tho!