1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chain or not to chain??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by deere 332, Dec 4, 2010.

1. deere 332

deere 332 Junior Member

i used my deere skid steer for the first time with a ten foot pusher and was frustrated by the lack of traction. would it be wise to put on a set of chains on the rear of the machine?? the machine weighs about 9300 lbs. i am concerned that the chains will rip up the black top i don't know how big of a concern that is thanks

2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

Id be careful about the chains if the lot is nice. It may be that you are putting too much weight on the pusher. try barely setting the pusher on the ground. make sure all 4 wheels are on the ground, if you put the pusher down too much and the front wheels come off the ground you will lose a ton of traction. this is why we use the floating 10ft sectionals; we could only use 8 ft boxes before we started with those. especially when the snow was heavy.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  3. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

None of my machines are that heavy so i really dont know
    But i would said if the black top is pretty old Its gonna be a lot my Solid..... but then again it might be frail.

But definitely if the black top is new-ish i would not use chains....
    1. because you might leave tracks everywhere which wouldnt be to attractive.
    2. i dont know if you keep the machine on site bit if you do there will be chain marks or the black top under each tire if it sits long enough.

So really its up to you to determine what your condition is.
    Also your blade is probably too big for the machine you have..
    What size blade are you using?

4. deere 332

deere 332 Junior Member

thanks i am using a ten foot pusher with a rubber edge

5. deere 332

deere 332 Junior Member

should i be pushing with the boom on float?

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Chains would be the quickest, cheapest way to get good traction. The chains will wear down and or break before it would hurt the black top. I was concerned about traction with my NH LX665 pushing a 8ft skid steer plow with wings and last night I got a chance to use it. It lost traction a few times but it was all frozen over slush and about 2 inches of wet snow on a up hill parking lot. I have new chains for it but dont want to use them unless absolutely necessary. I got my set from a Bobcat dealer, the first set broke within only rolling a few feet last year so they gave me a new set that we havent used yet....they are expensive at almost 200 bucks/pair.

7. bechbru2

bechbru2 Junior Member
    from pa

we run chains on the back of our ls180 in bad storms. I never had a complaint about black top damage. I would guess the guys that did spent to much time spinning there tires.

8. fourthcoastcont

fourthcoastcont Junior Member

I have a T300 and dont have any problems with are push????????????

9. deere 332

deere 332 Junior Member

thanks brian,

i used my pusher for the first time last night and the first time wasn't bad, it was when i was going over it a second time with a couple more inches on the ground. i figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a pair for the rear tires to use in slick conditions. i have never used chains and was thinking it would take care of my slipping and slidding and lack of traction. everyone around me that uses frontend loaders has chains how big a difference do they make??

10. deere 332

deere 332 Junior Member

how big a difference do the chains make it seems like i am slipping and slidding alot even with the blade up

11. deere 332

deere 332 Junior Member

i originally was looking at a track machine and the dealers would tell me to stay away and get a tire machine because of the ground pressure they said the tracks spin out alot. it seems thats all i do with my tire machine, i may have made a mistake?

12. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

A good set of snow tires like wolf paw will make a world of difference. You will think your using a different machine. There is a thread in the heavy equipment forum that will help you. Its about using a 8 or 10 foot pusher, but they talk about tires as well. Check it out. Good luck, have a good season.

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

This snow we had this afternoon was really slippery.

Chains are a good idea on the back if the blacktop isn't brand new. If it is a little older you will not notice any damage.

One thing with the boom in float is it takes all the weight of the boom and puts it on the pusher instead of the wheels.

14. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

no no chains,,,heres is what you need

hi all,,just here is the gizmo for them slip n slid tire treads.

AFCO TIRE Groover summit 86.jpg

15. deere 332

deere 332 Junior Member

what exactly is this gizmo of yours, how does it work and were do you get it?? thanks

16. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

17. deere 332

deere 332 Junior Member

thanks lugnut, have you been successful using this on skid steer tires for snow use? i would be kind of nervous to start cutting into my tires, you don't think chains would help at all

18. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That's funny you posted that pic, just earlier today (well I guess it's yesterday now...) I posted a link to the same exact groover on another forum. Just last weekend I cut my SS tires:

DSC00321R.jpg

DSC00328R.jpg

I wish we had just a tad more snow today, as I'd gladly tell you how well the tire grooving worked. It would help if you posted a pic of what tread pattern yo were running, as well as how much tread is remaining. My experiences tell me that a groover isn't going to do you much good on a typical industrial lug tire with minimal wear left.

As for where to get a hold of one, let me know where you are exactly, either here or by PM, and I'm fairly confident I can hook you up with one. :salute:

DSC00321R.jpg

DSC00328R.jpg

19. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I'm curious as to how well that works for you also. The grooves don't seem wide enough to me. Does anyone have experience with the drill in studs?

20. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

For the record, the grooving worked excellent, even better than I expected. I'd recommend it to anyone who's struggling for traction with their tires, as long as they have the tread pattern to cut it in.