1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chain or not Chains

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ProWorkz.com, Nov 4, 2005.

1. For the guys in here that tow their skid steers around on trailers in the winter. Do you chain up your trailer tires?? Give me some feedback please....

Dave

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

dont know as tire chains have been banned here for years but it sounds like it may help with braking and maybe backing up.

3. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

chains or studs?

hey proWorkz, Im over here in south lake, last year we did trailer our bobcat to neighborhoods, we found that we had to chain the trailer,one set, and truck or it would slide, especially in deep snow. we have some steeps, as im sure you do also. I sure did feel more comfortable knowing that extra traction. here in California its required when chain controls are up. the set we used were the hardened flat chain, which im rebuilding today. last one season.

another question, we are looking at wolf paws studded tires for the Bobcat. last year we chained both sets on the bobcat the tires we have on are the standard dirt tread, big lug,wide tread. these wolf paws are narrow, same size. salesman at plows unlimited says night and day, less wear damage etc. any thoughts?

Bob

4. chains

Bob thanks for the info. I was planning on chaining up one axle on the trailer and the rear on my truck. As for the studded tires on the skid steer do not think they would have better traction than chains. We only chained up the rear tires on our skid steer. The front tires usually do not touch the ground while working......

Dave

5. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

wow.
    never chain truck or trailer. running ford crew cab superduty 4x4, studded snowtires all around. Sounds scarey, but actually unhook trailer brakes on trailer so it doesn't go sideways in winter.

Run a TON of tongue weight. Literally.

2000 pounds. No high speeds though. Back of truck squats. Thinking about having a gooseneck built. Goosenecks are SOOOOOOOO much better in winter.

6. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

most of the time were driving the streets before the county plows have cleared through, a lot of the storms we have dump several feet of snow. pulling a c 12 trailer with a S250 bobcat with a 1200 lb blower with a set of square link chains on F350 and trailer help plow through deep snow. down hill usually not the problem, low range good for that.

Bob

7. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

anyone use a short gooseneck trailer for towing the steer in teh winter???? I was thinking a gooseneck would be waaaaaaaaaaay cool for weight on the truck in teh winter.