1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chain or Cylinder lift? Which is better

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JerseyShorePlow, Feb 19, 2014.

1. JerseyShorePlow

JerseyShorePlow Junior Member

I'm putting a plow on a 2014 Jeep Wrangler I just bought. Still deciding which brand, but my question is which is better, the chain to lift the blade or just the hydraulic cylinder? I've had both on used vehicles I bought, but now I have a New Jeep and want to put a new plow on it. Any suggestions or pluses and minuses of each would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What's a hydrolic?

I prefer a hydraulic ram to a chain lift.
    we have both, I have never snapped a ram like I have a chain.
    I have never had a ram come loose like I have had chains.
    I have never had a ram come on hooked all on it's own causing the blade to drop to the ground at highway speeds.

a chain lift has one more hinge to go bad.
  3. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

How does a chain come on hooked?

I like my chain lifts, I feel they can stack a little higher and if something were to go wrong with the plow you can always jack up the plow or run it into the snow bank and short chain it to get it home.

The down side to a chain lift is on bumpy roads the plow can bounce around and it makes a rough ride.
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Plus they bounce less while driving around. Get a boss
  5. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

you can run a hyrdo lift plow into a bank and strap it just as easily as well. X2 on Boss plows!!!
  6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

From bouncing around,
    A slack chain will come out of that notch sooner or later, (if you run a chain lift long enough)
    My meyer is old too....

Humm, my boss will out stack the hiniker and my chain lift meyer.

I have a 15yr old rtII and I have never had to (short chain) it.
  7. NThill93

NThill93 Member

Personally, Makes no difference to me. I have a chain lift on my Meyer and my dad has a scissor on his Hiniker. Haven't had issues with either.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had them both, like them both, they both have their pluses and minuses.
  9. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Agree- if you plow commercially or for $ at all there's no reason you shouldn't have ratchet straps on you.

I've had both. Westerns, boss and now blizzard.
  10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

wheres the picture of the dead horse and guy beating it with a hammer
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Here ya go Justin.
  12. JerseyShorePlow

JerseyShorePlow Junior Member

Thanks for the input. Seems as there is no clear winner of which is better. Maybe I'll have to let the price decide
  13. NThill93

NThill93 Member

price and dealer network.
  14. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If one was clearly better I would assume all manufacturers would switch over
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway's direct lift with hydraulic down pressure plow will perform well on that vehicle.

It's the only direct plow that you can say clearly out performs any chain lift, you can't push a chain.

IMO the dealer support in your area is the critical key. No matter what plow you want consider carefully before you buy a plow that is not supported locally.
  16. procut

procut Senior Member

Eventually you will blow a hose and lose all your fluid, have a relay go bad, ect. With chain lift it takes seconds to ram it into a snow pile and hike up the chain. I would think it would be a pain in the *** to have to secure a plow up with a ratchet strap. Assuming you even have one with you.

I have plowed for years with Western; chain lift, obviously, and have never had a chain break or fall off. I don't really understand how they could fall off, they hook in pretty securely.

The nicest thing I can see about direct lift is when you go into the pile and push the up button, the blade instantly starts raising - doesn't have to take the slack out of the chain.

FWIW the older Boss plows (80's and early 90's) were chain lift.
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

and that hose that goes to that chain lift cylinder will never blow?

I carry a spare hose for the lift and the wings.
    this is a good idea for any plow be it a chain lift or a direct lift.

I haven't had to run home to fix a blown hose in over 20yrs,
    Hopefully sooner or later you learn to carry a spare.

if you plow long enough you will have a chain find it's way off of the hook.
    give it time and when it does I hope your not going fast.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  18. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You're obviously not listening. Even with the lift cylinder fully collapsed, you simply hook the chain onto the lift arm at a SHORTER POSITION.
  19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Uh, wut?
    How you figure that a direct hookup to a cylinder will bounce less?
    On a chain, won't go down because the chain holds it up. Won't go up, because the STOPS hold it down.

That is, unless you're driving with it half down.... which you shouldn't be doing.
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

They sure do.

Showing your real world inexperience once again, eh Jason?

For the chain lift folks, can you tell me what causes the chain to lift up the plow?