1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chain or auger

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FourRLawn, Dec 11, 2011.

1. FourRLawn

FourRLawn Junior Member

we are looking to start using bulk salt b/c our business is growing and have some big lots to do now. we have been using a western 1000 tailgate spreader with no problems. we have looked at just about every v box spreader and liked them all but some more than others I was just seeing what other people thought about the spreaders. so what is better chain or auger. We are also going to go electric poly. but just dont know if we want chain or auger. Also im new to plowsite. And what kind of bulk salt would you use.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Magic Salt if you can get it,
    Regular bulk salt will work if that's all you can get.

I've had better luck with chain V-boxes, auger always was getting jammed.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you are doing straight salt, poly/electric/auger, do not remove the top screen :nono: . Depends on your temperatures what salt, if you are typically dealing with 25 degrees and above just plain salt, if you normally deal with _20 then a treated salt (like magic salt.)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I prefer drag chains. not much stops them. I cant speak for these newer poly boxes with augers, from what guys have told me, they are pretty good.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer the auger. We are using snow ex 3) 7500(8000 now) 1) 8500 and 3) 9500. only issues we have had is bad salt clogging the auger on the 7500. chains wear, rust up, need adjustment, can get bent. more moving parts to break. imo

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

as for a drag chain, you can run just about anything threw those. I have run salt that is clumped like you wouldn't believe. That drag chain just chews it up.

the newer augers are good from what buddys that are running them say. Most of them say that you need to fun good matererial threw them though. Chunks will jam the auger.

7. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

ive used both, personally I prefer the auger a lot better. Mind you I used two different types of salt in each spreader. The auger i used just regular rock salt through it and it ran awesome. The chain spreader im using this treated stuff and it is a little more difficult to get it through, mainly because its more fines and its got more moisture to it, so it usually pulls from the bottom, but then it starts to build up on the sides. The salt on top doesnt work its way down onto the chain. I think if the spreader had a vibrator it would be better but im not too sure. I think using treated in the auger with a vibrator will flow through a lot better. Plus the chains are pretty expensive to replace every few years. we just replaced both chains on our airflows and i think they were like 300-400 a piece or something.

8. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

ive used both, personally I prefer the auger a lot better. Mind you I used two different types of salt in each spreader. The auger i used just regular rock salt through it and it ran awesome. The chain spreader im using this treated stuff and it is a little more difficult to get it through, mainly because its more fines and its got more moisture to it, so it usually pulls from the bottom, but then it starts to build up on the sides. The salt on top doesnt work its way down onto the chain. I think if the spreader had a vibrator it would be better but im not too sure. I think using treated in the auger with a vibrator will flow through a lot better. Plus the chains are pretty expensive to replace every few years. we just replaced both chains on our airflows and i think they were like 300-400 a piece or something.