1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chain Lift (Fisher) or Cylinder Lift (BOSS)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2005Chev, Feb 13, 2011.

1. 2005Chev

2005Chev Member

Looking at buying a new v plow and not sure what to get. I have always had fishers on work trucks but most of the time ran equipment (backhoes or loader). So I am trying to decide what I am putting on my personal truck next year. Wanted to know thoughts on which system is better. I know they both have pros and cons but I figured everyone on here could give me some more insight on the topic

which is better for staking?
    does the boss have better down pressure with the cylinder?
    which plow seems to last better?

thanks for you input.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'll start, Boss V plow.
  3. 2005Chev

2005Chev Member

Haha thats what I'm leaning towards but never ran one. Seem to see more fishers around then boss.
  4. grandview

You get good down pressure with the boss v plow.
  5. as81808

as81808 Junior Member
    from NJ

fisher all the way!!
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Boss does NOT have down pressure!!!!!!

Boss IS a full trip blade dont like
    boss is direct lift Like
    Boss has springs to angle the blade back Dont Like
    Boss is lighter than fisher Like
  7. grandview

You must not plow an all you can eat buffet. I just get a couple of fatties to sit on the plow and I have all the dp I need!
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the chain lets you stack higher
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Once you try direct lift you won't go back. The Boss has been a great plow. I have the old style and VXT. Unless to trying to throw snow 30' I wouldn't buy the VXT.
  10. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

This is tough call I have used Western Pro Plows all my life to move snow and I have had the chance to move snow with some BOSS Power V's. I like the BOSS because they are made here in town but I also like the Western because of the ground clearance with the UltraMount system. They both have pro's and con's it's just what you want on the list of pro's that are going to make the decision for you.
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I love my western
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have both the Western and Boss V plow. I'm pretty sure I can push further over a curb with the Boss then the Western. The mount on the truck is higher with the Western but the A frame sits lower.
  13. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

LIke I said there are pro's and con's to each one and that's a big one. I was always slamming the A Frame on my Western of off something.
  14. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

You can get a Boss plow with a tripedge...

But yeah the boss doesn't have downpressure. You've got float so the blade's weight is your downpressure.

I have a Boss Super Duty plow and I have also used a 2-year old Western MVP plow extensively, and I prefer the lift system on the Boss.

Plus the Boss Smarthitch is the fastest and easiest attachment system to work, at least out of the plows I've messed with.
  15. m3klee

m3klee Member

ive had fishers all my life till the truck i have now has a Boss on it. and i love the Boss. I stack higher than i used to and if your cruising along and hit a pothole u dont get that bounce up in the air and slam down like u do with the fisher and the chain( not that it happens a lot but sometimes it does if you miss a hole). not to mention how much easier the boss smarthitch is compared to the fishers to put on and off the truck. i was unsure about the boss before i got it because i never had one but i am sold on it and will always have a Boss from now on
  16. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

I say fisher all the way. I've used western boss and fisher and I like the fisher and western the best. 1st off if you ever have a breakdown with a fisher or western you can run the plow up a pile of snow and short-chain it go get it back to the shop. you cant do that with a boss. As far as ground clearance I've never hit anything with my A frame, if your truck and plow are set up right you shouldn't hit anything. The boss frames always seem to be lower to the ground than the western/fisher. As for quick mounting the new fishers take about 35 seconds to hook up with no electronics to mess up. Just my two cents but I'd go with the fisher. Make sure you have good dealer support wherever you are.
  17. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Great Post, I'm with him but I like a heavier plow for some reason.

Not necessarily true, I personally have used both and really don't see the huge advantage/difference that everyone preaches about.

Not in a Vplow, only full moldboard trip. They are a quick attachment unless you have a hydraulic/electrical/switch failure. The Fisher is mechanical and very simple/easy to hook up as well.

Thats true but its also the trip edge keeping the impact from hurting the truck rather than the plow/truck absorbing that impact. You can get a trip edge straight blade boss and it will do this as well. The stacking comment I'll leave as I think both will stack very well.

Check them both out in person on trucks, try to mount/dismount yourself, see how the hydraulics work, check out the controller, etc. Then decide for yourself, they are both awesome plows and you won't be disappointed either way.
  19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

BOSS is The Greatest..............Thumbs Up
  20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

FISHER is The Cats Meow..........:nod: