1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chain length adjustment needed?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mayhem, Jan 2, 2008.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Got a minor problem, more if an irritationt han anyhting else. I've discovered the hard way that my 8' MM1 will not pop into the receiver brackets on the truck properly unless supported by somthing under the blade an inch or so think...typically i drop a pallet under the blade when I disconnect, but every once in a while this is impractical to do. I figured this out the other week when I was unable to put the plow on the truck before a storm...I had everything aligned properly, the plow jack was down and at the correct height for my front end, but when pushing on the headgear the pins wouldn't pop...finally figured out it was because I was at the limit of the length of the lift chain. The lift ram was fully retracted and I haven't cranked my t-bars (2000 Chevy Silverado 2500) any further this year.

While driving I always feel like my plow is too low to the ground, but perhaps it isn't...I tend to scrape periodically like when turning onto an uphill street or driveway.

Should I just add a link or two to the length of the chain and see how it goes or is there something more complicated at work here?

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

My easy way of doing it is this. I lower the plow on level ground with the truck loaded how it will normally plow (ballast in back, sander etc) Then Make sure a-frame is level. Now with it just on the ground I want to see about 1-1.5" of Lift cylinder exposed. This will let plow drop when in float and going into a downhill drive or coming over a crest. Next lift the plow up. Most RDs from Fisher should come up to the stop/crossmember just at max reach from the 10" lift cylinder. If you do not have this travel then something else needs adjusting.

Usually a link or two is all that is needed. They are set from the factory more generic. Usually I have found to much Chain for Chevies and not Enough for Fords but yours was used so it may have been set for a specific truck.

3. mayhem

from Peru MA

Thanks for the info, some clarification please:

- I have an 8' HD plow, but am given to understand the headgears for this modela re generally RD headgears. Does this affect your lift cylinder up measurement?
    - When doing the up measurement, where is the stop/crossmember?
    - When you say level the a-frame, what exactly do you mean? The yellow triangle that lifts the blade?

I wonder if the 8' is too heavy for the front end? It drops what looks to be 2-3" when I lift the plow. I really ought to measure that.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If you are dropping 2-3" you should add timbrens to the front or at least crank the torsion bars.

The height of the lift frame is insignificant really if you have the SEHP (cylinder in pump, it is a 10 inch stroke. Unless it is an LD then it is 6 inches. The RD and HD series 7.5ft to (ft were made to be pretty universal and be able to be setup for 3/4 and 1 trucks by adjusting the chain and a-frame mounting pins. The LDs are overall smaller and the MC series are much bigger.

The A-frame is the part that ataches the Blade to the Lift/push frame. It is parrallel with the angle cylinders. So the angle cylinders need to be level with the ground with the plow down. If not you need to crank the torsion bars, or change the mounting holes on the A-frame. This is most important as it affects scraping and tripping action of the plow.

The stops/crossmember is the part that the bottom of the lift cylinder attaches to. This is where the A-frame strikes as it moves up so that it doesn't end up in your grille. I know of many 2500s running 8ft Fishers with no problems. Most have added timbrens. I think you just need some adjustments.

5. mayhem

from Peru MA

Measured the drop with a tape yesterday in a level paved parking lot...measuring at the bottom of the fender flare it drops barely 3/4" between full float and fully raised. Looks like alot more, but I think my eyes are drawn to the front bumper or something.

I cranked the t-bars 3 full turns fall 06 and think I'll do a bit more to try to level out the ride height.

Thanks for your help.

6. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

yes it's the front end on those Chev's..My best friend said his would bottom out while carrying the plow..You need Timbrens..