1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chain gang

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johntwist, Feb 28, 2005.

1. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Those of you who know me know I'm always looking for something interesting to talk about that doesn't get brought up all the time.

Today, while waiting for my truck to get it's annual safety and emissions inspection, there was a guy in the shop who was next in line for a sticker after me. Seeing the plow set up, he started talking to me about plowing, busy winter, yada, yada, yada. Then he asked me how the Boss was holding up in the field. I told him I thought it was a great set up and I loved it. He then proclaimed his dedication to Fisher.

Now, I'm not going to bash Fisher. They are the by far the most popular plow in this area and I'm sure there's a reason for it. I've never run one, so I can't compare. All I know is my Boss works great. I just happened to mention to this guy that one of the things I don't like about the Fisher besides the color yellow are the lifting chains. I pointed out the Boss uses just the hydraulic lift cylinder and with no chains has a sleek, modern appearance. I do believe that.

He countered with something I had not considered. He said that if the hydraulics should fail, at least with the Fisher you can use a bottle jack to crank the blade up and then use the chains to secure and hold the blade in the "up" position, thus making it possible to drive it to the shop with no further hassle. With the Boss he said, if that happens, well, as "Bad Luck" would say, you're pretty much "fockered".

So, what do the rest of you think about this? It seemed to make sense to me, though since I haven't had this problem it doesn't seem like such a big deal at the moment. If it is a valid point, I'm sure that it's nothing that I can't solve by carrying a 1/2 ton come-along with me. Opinions?
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Don't the boss and other plows with out lift chains have places to put pins in to hold up the blade??

I personally like my chain, I can easily adjust how low the plow will drop in the float mode, something you cannot do with the other lift types. Comes in handy in the one driveway I do with a large dip, I can put it in float mode, and it will only drop so far. I had to learn where I had to put it because it would dig-in pretty good if it dropped to much.

Having said that I also like the non chains because there is less bounce when the blade is not up all the way. Well I guess it is just one of those things what is more important...
  3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have a blizzard which also has a chainless style lift.It broke about three weeks ago (and I'm still waiting for parts but thats another story :angry: )Anyhow, they have a slot to stick a pin through to hold it up in the power hitch area. It works but the chain system is much easier to limp home although, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think they have done away with the safaty chain in the mm2s.I had one last year but can't remember.As far as the blizzard system, lining up a pin while on your back in a storm isn't my idea of a good time but it works.
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about Boss but I know other brands that do not use a lift chain setup have an alternative place to put a pin to hold the plow up. Just run up a pile and pit the pin in. As mentioned above. Iam sure you could also rig up something with a come along to hold it up to go to the shop.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I have a sleeve for my snoway that goes around the lift cylinder and then when the plow drops the sleeve gets wedged and keeps the plow up. Came with the plow when I got it used. I'd have to say that being able to limp home just a little easier would not sway my decision on a plow brand.
  6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I run all Myer, E-47's & E-60's 7.5" plows.. I have had problems, mid winter this year, the motor on the E-60 went out. I was able to take 3 guys and myself to lift it up and chain it up. i would agree with that, it is nice. to be able to do that
  7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Hehe, you said "fockered"... :D

I could see where he had a point. But in either situation you're going to have to lift the blade off the ground some how. Just make sure you carry some HD ratcheting straps. They don't take up much room and can save your a$$ in a million situations.

Seems like this guy put some kind of thought into his dscussion. It's nice to carry discussions like that with perfect strangers without hearing "Boss sucks" or "Fisher bites!" Ain't it!!
  8. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Floor or bottle jack

Just have a floor jack with you in the truck while plowing, and you can do it with one person next time!

Anyone ever wonder what they would do if the chain either came unhooked, or worse, broke? I Should start carrying chain too??!! :confused:

9. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I don't think my Boss V-plows have a pin to lock the plow up, but I would just take the pin out that hold the hydraulic cylinder in place. Then you could jack it up and chain it/strap it for the ride home. Luckily I have not had any trouble with either. The old one is 9 years old and still works like a charm. Knock on wood.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do You go plowing with out a jack and at least one chain?
    I thought about that scenario too. use your jack(a high-lift) to pick up the plow or run it up a pile and chain it up. I don't like the old chain lift method that is still used by some mfg, it's old school..imo
  11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

My Blizzard came with an extra pin for transport or emergency. Under the A-frame there is a hole that the pin slides into in case of a break down or on a long transport for extra security against having the blade drop down. I believe that is standard on all Blizzards.

As for getting the blade into an "up" position during break down you can run the plow up onto a pile of snow, but of course you have to have piles. Back in my younger days when plowing for my dad we had a Western that seemed to break down every other time out, had to run it up on a pile many times and "short chain" it. If I didn't have a pile I used a come-a-long.

12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Buck - Does your plow have a down pressure system? Wondering how well it works.....also.....with no lift chain, is there away to adjust the blade for drop? Like when you are cresting a hill or dip in the road?
  13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

No down pressure system, wish it did as back blading with a lighter plow sucks. Have to back blade, then roll forward with the plow down to scrape my compacted tracks, then pull everything back again. 3 step process. The blade can be adjusted for drop, you mean speed of which it drops correct?

14. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

The connecting link on my old Western chain gave out when leaving a clients driveway this Winter, I tried a few things I had in my goodie box but, finally pulled out the ole come-a-long that I picked up at a yard sale for $5.00. Hooked that up to where the link goes on the blade, hooked the other end to my pump and off to the Napa store I went.. Picked up a spare link and was back in business.. Come-a-longs work great and take up a lot less room than a floor lift.. Plus, they can get you out of a stuck situation..
  15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

You dont need a floor jack even just run the plow up on a pile of snow
  16. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

One time I was stacking snow and pushing it off an embankment and my plow got stuck over a guard rail. I just pushed down my lift arm reset the chain and was out of there in 2 minutes. With a lift link plow how do you get out of that mess?