1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chain down dump body for vbox

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gottaluvplows, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

A few dealers have been telling me if i get a Vbox to chain the front of the dump Body down??
    Have you guys ever heard this what do you think???
    i have NEVER seen this!
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I guess it would depend how far back your box goes behind the pivot. Theoretically you could get enough weight back there to cause a malfuctioning ram to extend but I've never seen or heard of it happening. If you have alignment blocks on the front of the frame sway is impossible too. I found alot of dealer advice when it comes to equipment isn't based on knowing much about after market equipment.
    Ask him to explain under tailgate spreaders you'll have your answer.
  3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I know 2 guys with v-boxz in dumps and they never chain them down. Never seen it or heard it.
  4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Mine are chained with binders down, all state and city trucks here are chained or strapped down.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

He's talking about chaining the dump body to the truck. Probably not a bad idea, although I think it would be easier to just put a couple pins through the alignment blocks.
  6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

sounds pretty dumb to me. I tow a gooseneck trailer with an F550 dumping flat bed. It does not pull my body up at all.
  7. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I used to pin mine down. Driving around with a full hopper can really twist the crap out of your truck when making turns etc. It really is just for traveling with a full load. Takes a lot of stress off the hoist and dump pins. Not many do it but more should IMO
  8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the good explanation. I was honestly scratching my head wondering why, but that makes sense. :drinkup:
  9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id say for two reasons , not that i have ever

1. if your dump bed hangs more than a few inches from yoru pivot point, I know V boxes have a center of gravity (empty) that belive it or not is closer to the end of the "v" then to then to the middle of it. thus if the center of gravity sits rearward of the pivot point i guess it could somehow fight the weight of the dump box to go up on its own. (altho i still dont see it happening)

2. maybe to make it idiot proff? dummy gets in the seat, raises it up, then you have a spinner smashed in the ground or truck, gas pours from the gas tank, oil comes out of the fill tube, ? i dunno
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just to ease the stress and twisting of the frame I would chain it.
  11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I don't really see the point at all. Don't waste your time.
  12. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

yup thats just it a waste of time
  13. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Both of my dump trucks came with spring loaded pins that lock the dumping body to the hoist sub frame. We leave them pinned year round, It really keeps it from twisting and then banging. My truck will run down a bumpy road as quiet as my pickup. Run another dump down and it is banging the whole way. If we are making deliveries we will undo the pins when it is being loaded. Never caused a problem and for the time it takes nice piece of mind.

Having said all this I know lots of guys that don't do this or have this option and never have a problem.
  14. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Had an 8 ft. flatbed that was solid mount and I made it into a dump. Every winter I used the u-bolts I took off the front to re-secure the front when I mounted the V-box. Just wanted to be safe.
  15. gottaluvplows

Yeah i see it is probably a good idea but im not gonna to do it..
    i saw a guys at the store yesterday who did it....it looked like he had 2 welded hooks, one on the dump body then the other on the frame of the truck then lifted the dump a little to put tension on the short chain i thought that was a good idea
  16. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

So you're saying the guy drives around with the box lifted up "a little" all winter, AND you think this sounds like a good idea? :dizzy: :laughing:
  17. gottaluvplows

ahaha! yeah you're right not a good idea! (im not planning on doing it anyway)
    but really what could happen??
    (It was only lifted maybe an inch or so)