1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Chain Angle

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by magik235, Jan 3, 2009.

1. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

I received the following suggestion in reference to my Jeep pictured below. Please comment on the suggestion. Thank you.

Can i make a suggestion on the angle of your chain to your pump, if you reduce it to almost 90 degrees and mount it closer to the center of the plow A frame, you would increase your life of your pump and battaries by 50%.

1971 CJ5 with a 225CID odd-fire V6, HEI ignition, Heddman headers, 390 Holley 4 barrell, FlowKooler high capacity waterpump, 100 amp Proform alternator, Optima battery, T14 3 speed transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle and a Dana 27 in front. More pictures can be seen at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2608975/1
  2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

I don't know about 50%, but moving the lift point back will make life a whole lot easier on your pump!:drinkup:
  3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Did you build the plow mount? I'd guess Western intended for the chain to be straight down. That angle adds extra stress to the pump for sure.
  4. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

The plow mount is a Western.
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

The closer to the truck you mount the chain the heavier the plow will be on the chain

I would leave it where it is
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You got that right :)
    having the chain out so far reduces the load on the pump BUT slows down the speed of the lift and reduces the lift hight.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree that having the chain closer to the blade reduces load on the pump, and makes it slower to lift the blade. However, that angle would increase the forward strain on the headgear. I think you could move the lift point closer to the truck, at least a few inches.
  8. willyswagon

willyswagon Senior Member

I have a 50 yr old Western plow on my 56 Willys. When people ask about chain angles, push plates, trip edge vs trip blade... My answer is simple - If it works why change it???

If your happy with the way it pushes, and the the way it lifts I'd leave it.
    Just my .02
  9. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

depends what you plow

If it doesn't see much action lifting or stacking, why move it?

I'm not good with geometry or hydrolic equations but if you move it back closer, the weight will be more to lift. Wouldn't that be even harder on the pump?
    I would make variable points and go to the opposite extreme and then work back to the original and see what works for your style pump.

My guess is it's in a good anchor point already.
  10. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

I think some part of that setup was designed to have the lift closer to the blade. I wonder if that is the right "A" frame for a Jeep. I had one for a pickup truck and it was long and my chain angle was a lot like yours.

I have a Western Plow like yours and the "A" frame was cut down to fit the jeep better. I'm currently using a Meyers though.