1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

chain adjustment

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Pinzgauer, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I just put a new ExtremeV on my truck. Since the GMC runs low I am looking to lift the blade. Specially in V position the edges are very close to the ground and hit easily. Looking an the lift chain there is a lot of slack when in the lowered position. Just to see I took out the slack and then raised the plow. There was no difference in ground to plow edge hight with and without slack.. How is that possible ... I must be nuts, right?
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

There are stops on the head gear that the A-frame hits when it lifts,there are 2 different sets,long and short,you will want the short ones to get the most lift,you need slack in the chain to allow for varying ground heights while plowing but more importantly to mount the plow after it's off.With no slack you will never get the pins to lock on the mounts:realmad:
  3. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

thanks ... I saw the stops now ... they are different than on my old straight blade. That explains it of course ...........
  4. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

Just a thought but I know that the GM's tend to have a softer front than the others and no matter where you adjust the chain it is still going to make the front of that truck squat. 1) Do you have enough ballast in the back
    2) Have you considered soething to help support the added weight in the front espcially a plow as heavy as a V, such as timbrens or airbags.

Most of the GM's I see with plow blades on them sit lower in the font than the Fords and Dodges. I guess they ride nice but not ideal for a snowplow.
  5. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

I just did all the adjustments on my plow last week. If you look at the fisher web site in the instructions section it will tell you all the places you can adjust. If you look in the box you should find the other stops. I have a 08 f350 and the stops I'm using are @2 inches. What is important is the travel of the lift cylinder. On mine I get 10 inches. I have adjusted just about everything but have finally got it just right. And be sure to have weight in the truck when doing the adjusting. Good luck
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

most useful post in this thread.
  7. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

tanks for all the input .........