1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CGL in PA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snow4rem, Nov 29, 2011.

1. snow4rem

snow4rem Junior Member

Anyone have recommendations for getting quotes for General Liability coverage in PA for Snow Plowing only? This is our 2nd year in business and the best I can find is around $1700 for 1M in General Liability coverage. I was told by one agent if I was a landscaper they could add a rider to my policy for less but I'm not doing landscaping currently. Already tried Allied / National and Progressive. Any new ideas are appreciated.

Silverado 2500HD with Boss Plow!!!:cool:

2. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

insurance issues

Insurance for straight snow plowing with no other classifications can be an issue in PA or any state really. None of the carriers like it, period. If your main line of work is landscaping, that gives them a way to collect a few extra bucks towards their bottom line. While landscapers file claims, the amount of claims and the #'s paid out tend to be MUCH less than snow removal. Lets face it, when you remove snow and ice, it is usually in a location that has LOTS of people walking or driving across it. The potential for a slip and fall accident and the amount of medical bills it generates are very high.

The insurance CO's know this, so they tend to crank up the bill for your coverage. If you are a landscaper, they know that you may have to do snow removal as a Winter service in order to keep your customer happy so that you maintain the relationship and keep all of the Spring, Summer and Fall work that generates your main income. In this situation, your snow removal work becomes "incidental" in their mind and they know they also have your premium $$ to work with from the landscaping portion of your business to offset any claims that you may have from the snow removal side of your operations.

Maybe you need to find a yard or two to cut during the warmer months? This will generate some landscaping income and possibly keep the insurance CO happy. Believe it or not, having both classifications on your policy may be less $$ than just snow removal? Give it a try, you may be surprised?;)

Oh yea, one other thing, if you are a sole proprietor, some CO's have a one time flat charge for snow removal and others will bill you based on gross receipts. You need to find the CO that charges a flat fee. It is much cheaper!Thumbs Up
    (note: I was a full time insurance agent for 19 years and still work part time, so I feel I am qualified to answer your question, Lol)

3. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Actually you didn't answer his question.

4. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Sure I did. I told him to cut a few lawns in Spring and purchase insurance for Landscaping. This should make his life a little easier. There are only 1 or 2 CO's that I know of (I do NOT know everything!) that will do snow removal by itself, so the options are limited. My idea may be the only way to save him a few $$?

5. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

I go through erie and its not too bad but i also have my car insurance and landscaping insurance through them

6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

You certainly need to check out Erie, I know guys in NJ that only wish they could get Erie prices

Last year was my first year in business and my 500K GL policy was $303, this year I bumped it up to 1 million with a few add ons and its only $800 some

7. McG_Landscaping

I run solo and for 2 mill mowing/landscaping and 1 mill plowing i think im around $350. but my truck is seperate.

8. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I would recommend Everett Cash Mutual I have 2 mil. aggregate, 1 mil per occurrence, and a $250 property damage deductible. I paid $532 for the year for this coverage, and it is for snow plowing only.

This rate actually surprised me considering I am only 22 and am relatively new to the business, so I would definitely recommend finding a local agent that will work with Everett.

9. snow4rem

snow4rem Junior Member

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. We requested a quotation from Erie today after I saw the response and we will check out the Everett Cash Mutual also to see if they'll give us an estimate. If all else fails we'll look at mowing a few lawns in the Spring.

10. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

How in the F are you only around $350?! I have Erie and just for plowing they want $655. Two years ago it was $500 and I've never had a claim

11. McG_Landscaping

i have no clue. i was surprised myself. but we have car insurance through them and also i have my landscaping insurance through them