1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Certification for applying salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by M1N1TRK, Sep 29, 2009.

1. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

2. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Hey, I'm all about EP and protecting Kermit and alike.
    Too f' in comical...and who is going to be reimbursed,start internally and educate first, the Rep should take a good look at who dictates how much should be applied. What a joke...it wouldn't surprise me for my state (MA) to follow.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

After taking some time to educate myself about deicers (either granular or liquids) I am convinced that some form of training or licenceing should be done. For lawn work we use Round up all the time, its basiclly salt water, you need a license to apply it, why shouldn't you for road salt, whats the difference if your spraying the weeds in your parking lot ?. That said I belive (If I'm rembering correctly) that about 80% of road salt used is used municipally. Which means in theory that 80% any damage done is their fault as well, in addition they have little to no vested intrest in saving product (it's not $$$ out of there pocket) so training should start there. Will it, not in NY, they'd rather fine a business than do the right thing, & train there staff first.

4. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thats my point! thanks :drinkup:

5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

So if the amount of salt that one can put down on their account is mandated by law and one follows it eaxctly.
    Who now becomes responsible for the lawsuit on a slip and fall?
    The municipality and state highway authority are the ones who over use.

6. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Not a bad idea IF it was to be implemented properly. After all, we have to be licensed and certified to apply pesticides and such. Like many have already said, if they start from within and training/certification is done fairly across the board, I think it would be a good thing (as long as it is not hitting us too hard in the pocket), but other aspects to look at are enforcement. Will there be people out during events riding around checking for certifications? How do they prove or disprove how much product is being used in a given area? Are there different tolerances for different types of events (warm, slushy snowfalls vs. heavy ice storm)?

Good basic idea, but way too much room for it to turn into another government circus!

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly. And it won't be, because the gov't is involved.

Circus? That's an understatement.

Our Dept of Ag has had so much of their budget cut, they are no longer doing enforcement, only responding to complaints.

Good old liberals (and I know, the bill was introduced by a Republican) always looking at intentions instead of results.

First thing that needs to be looked at when proposing a new law is enforcement. If it isn't reasonable or easy to enforce it, it's worthless and only those law-abiding business owners will abide by it.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

We call em Rhino's. Two of the biggest here in Maine. Remember that Bazillion dollar stimulus package everyone has forgotten about? It came down to TWO senate votes. Olympia Snowe R-ME, and Susan Collins R-ME. But hey, they rebuilt 17 miles of I-95 up here, so that was worth it.

My State Senator voted to pass a gay marraige bill this spring. After I had him backpedalling twice in a five minute call, he knows I will never vote for him again. I do still call him to ***** about the DOT though:realmad:

9. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

I would have to say that if a state is consideing implementing this they need to look in house first at the own procedures and the amout thier using. Then look at the cities. Its kinda of a joke when march rolls around and they got a bunch left over, they just start laying it down thick to get rid of it.

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

On this side they actually don't salt when they need to. You see a lot of variance from county to county, and city to city. A lot of unsuspecting commuters bouncing off the guardrails on overpasses (and even straight aways) every time it snows confirms this. :nod:

11. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

We had a shortage at one point last year, so they had to sand the roads. It had been very cold, what a mess.

But the good news is that the State of Maine decided to buy salt in bulk last year:dizzy:.

Can you believe that? They were NOT buying in bulk before?:realmad::realmad::gunsfiring: They make me so stinking mad, it's crazy. Why can't they take a three year average, have that amount plus a buffer, say 20% on hand in October. Just replenish what you actually used.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think he's referring to the City of Wyoming. They are the only muni on this side of the state that does a decent job of keeping their roads clean in any kind of snow.

Kent County, Grandville, GR, Kentwood don't even come close to overapplying salt.

14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I love taking 31 North from Muskegon. You can tell where the money is. Muskegon county is nice and dry no ice or snow. Oceana, pavement is still alittle wet. Once you cross into Mason county you better be ready cause it will go from wet pavement to 1" ice as soon as you cross that line.