1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Centrifugal Clutch Salter

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Sticks, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

Looked at a London Salter today, it is powered with a briggs motor and what apperars to be a centrifugal force clutch.

Similar to a Go Cart motor.

Any one seen this before?
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

clutch etc.

A centrifugal clutch is very reliable way to provide power to an implement and the fly wheel clutches last along time and are easy to repair by changing the old one out with a new one.

the engines deliver the governor controlled speed to create the force to contact the clutch and do the work by simply increasing engine speed and stopping by slowing it down to the point where the clutch loses contact.

We have had the same clutch and engine on a flail mower for over thirty years

If you visit the briggs and stratton web site you will find parts numbers for this engine and exploded diagrams as well for the clutch and any other possible combination for this engine.
  3. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

So I should have no worries in purchasing a salter with a centrifugal clutch?
  4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Many years ago I had a Flink v box spreader that had one on it. It was hard to warm up the engine with the clutch wanting to grab and spread salt. Now I prefer the electric clutch myself.
  5. Kubota 8540

Like this one?
    Ebay 12_15_08 054 (Custom).jpg
    It is a spare for that spreader but has never been used.

Ebay 12_15_08 054 (Custom).jpg
  6. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Stay away from them. I had a harder with one when you go to start it with the choke on it goes into high ideal causing the clutch to ingauge. It also causes the starter to run the drive chain under a load (weight of sand) not just start the motor. You will have problems warming it up and not spreading product. I took off the gas motor and replaced it with an eletric motor
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My first Flink has one. Hate it, for the same reasons posted above. Miserable to warm up. Pretty well had to run it empty first, get the engine up to full temperature, shut it down, load it.... run to site... restart...

I don't like running a gasser v-box at 3am at home... :realmad:

Easy to convert to electric clutch though. If the price is right....
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Built a two yarder in 1995, been for sale for 2 years now. the new electric tech is better IMO.
  9. Kubota 8540

Flink Mfg is 20 miles from my house and no one runs Flink equipment around here? Strange. If you didn't know where to look you wouldn't even know the place existed? My Flink served me well.