1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Central Salt (Illinois)

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SullivanSeptic, Jan 21, 2014.

1. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

So anyone else use Central salt? Wanted to see if anyone else is getting the worst service ever from them like I am? Have a contract since the start of the year. Now they don't want anything to do with us. Must be nice to just ignore a customer that has purchased nearly 200 tons of salt this year and has paid for it all in full. :angry:

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I can pick some up here in AZ, how many bags.... 1,2 ?

3. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Tried reaching them 2 or 3 times with promised call backs. No calls back. They're a joke it seems like. Wouldn't even bother

4. Ryan you salt I got a guy that can get it

5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Seens to me like lately They're catering to the big boys get them their loads and bye bye "little" man. Next thing around here will be another "salt shortage".

6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Okay, I guess the severe lack of sleep has caused the calm side of my brain to stop working. Been pushing pretty hard and the little things start to add up. After getting some sleep finally, I can say that my original post was a bit harsh. I literally read it to myself and said, "what the hell". Central has been pretty good. They have been feeding my salt and there is a slow down for numerous reasons, but not as bad as I made it out to be. I over reacted a bit. Goes to show you that I should sleep then type things on the internet. Not the other way around. Anyway, all is good.

7. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

like you said, lack of sleep can really mess with a person so many ways.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ryan needs a lot of sleep

9. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

Been using their bulk pro slicer this year and I gotta say it's pretty good. Can't wait to get my own warehouse so I can buy it and store it cheaper than what I'm paying now.

10. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

Tru450 what you paying now for it?

11. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Heard places around here are out, I know of one place that has some bulk at $200 per ton.

12. 911tech

911tech Junior Member

I just got a 24 ton out of Minnesota for 148 a ton delivered. ..and a load out of beecher for 120 a ton....should hold us for the weekend then its back to salt hunting again...think my Minnesota guy maybe my only option for awhile as everyone in IL seems to he cut off unless ur a muni

13. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

I know a big buyer from central they burn about 300 tons per event and there down to a 1/4 what they were getting they will be cut off after this storm and will have to start to truck it in from Iowa

14. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

you other IL guys can give Conserv fs a shot. I know that had some rock salt, and where supposed to be back up and running with treated bulk in Aurora IL. a few days ago. I was also told though that some wait times for loads were up to 6 hours and truckers wanted 90 and hour to wait. I am not sure if we got another load yet, was supposed to be delivered Thursday and I haven't checked the bin yet. Conserv is not bad to deal with, I'm surprised I don't hear much about them on here...

15. melt all

melt all Member

We have bulk salt and super sacks of blends-call us 610-497-9390
    don't write here and expect a reply to busy-CALL US

16. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

I've got someone local selling for $200/ton for treated. (It's not me, I swear! LOL)

PM me and I'll pass along your info

17. melt all

melt all Member

That's true, truckers are waiting 4-6 hours in line. Also product is being brought from further away so that jacks the price up too.....plus if you want to secure salt for your business and customers like we do you have to offer the big boys more money for it, then they pick you over other companies.
    From what we see this is just going to keep getting worse. Another big problem is-we can all get more ships of salt but if you book a ship by the time she gets loaded and sails to the destination your talking 3rd week of Feb??? TO RISKY TO SPEND 3 MILLION DOLLARS!

18. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

It appears Central Salt has not changed it's ways. Same ol ---- different customer. Deep sixed them 4-5 years ago when they only filled half my salt requirement and left me hanging.

I was a Central Salt customer from day one when a bunch of salesman from other large salt companies banded together to form it. My name was on a list that was a guaranteed cash customer and repeat customer year after year. The salesmen that formed that company not only appreciated customer loyalty, but was loyal to their customers. When I was in a bind they found ways to get me what I needed when I needed it. Sadly those folks sold that company, sad to see where the new owners have taken it.

Doing business with Salting Material Supply out of Elgin now. Great to do business with.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  19. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

$128 / yard

20. Blaine4450

Blaine4450 Member

What was the name of the place in minnesota? Im in need of 2 semi loads bad!!