1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Central Maine Plowing 1/29/08

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Spudman, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Spudman

Spudman Member

Spent the day plowing out our grain and potato storages, so I had the chance to take a couple pictures. We got about 8 inches total here in Central Maine. Truck is a 2007 Toyota Tundra with a 7.5' Fisher MM2. We also plow with a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax with an 8.5' Fisher MM1and a 2000 GMC 3500 SRW with an 8' Fisher MM1.

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

2. Spudman

Spudman Member

Wrong date

Whoops! I meant 1/29/09.

3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Nice truck! We had 10 inches or so and then it changed to freezing rain for a while. I'm going to dig out the atv and snowblower tomorrow to cut back the snow banks some.

4. Spudman

Spudman Member

Banks are getting pretty tall around here too. We've already had to push them back a couple of times with the backhoe and loader tractor, just so we could get trucks in and out of the dooryards. It's hard to load haul potatoes and corn when you can barely get the trucks turned around! We stay pretty busy keeping stuff cleared when it snows.

What part of the state are you located in?

5. 06Sierra

from Maine

I was working in Calais, living in Baileyville, until Nov. I started working in Fort Fairfield then. I still have my house down there so I travel down on my days off, the wife and daughter are still down there. I am staying at my brother's place right not and there isn't much room to put snow there! He usually brings a tractor with a blower on it home to clear the banks back. I don't work until 4 tomorrow so it will give me something to do!

6. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

nice pics. we only got about 4" then an hour of rain. then cold..... slush and ice.... what a mess.

that toy looks good with a fisher

7. Spudman

Spudman Member

Yeah I'm real happy with the truck. It's got plenty of power for pushing snow and handles the 7.5' RD plow really well. Only about a half inch drop on the front end when the plow is raised. It will eventually need a new set of tires, but hopefully they will last through this winter and planting season in May/June. We'll see.

8. 06Sierra

from Maine

I put some Firestone Destination a/t on my truck, and the wife's Yukon, last summer. They haven't let me down yet.

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

When I bought my 7.5' SD for my Tundra they dealer toled me it couldn't handle a 7.5' HD (same thing as the 7.5' RD they just changed the name). I wish I had bought the 7.5' HD now.

10. By"US"Snow

By"US"Snow Junior Member

We have put 7.5' HT's and HD's on 1/2 Tons. If you plow anything other than yourself and a few drives then the HD would have been a better choice. Price wise there is not much of a difference.

11. mercer_me

Do you sell many 7.5' SD plows?

12. By"US"Snow

By"US"Snow Junior Member

Nope. Biggest Sellers are 7.5' HT's for 1/2 Tons and 8' HD's for 3/4 Tons.

13. mercer_me

Have you put many plows on 2007 and newer Toyota Tundras?

14. By"US"Snow

By"US"Snow Junior Member

At our local shop, no. We provide all the plows to the Varney dealers in Bangor and Pittsfield so I believe they have only put plows on GMC's and Chevy's. This year we have only put plows on Ford's, GMC's and Chevy's at our shop in Jonesboro.

15. Spudman

Spudman Member

For the 2009-2010 season I upgraded from the 7.5' RD series to a 7.5' X-Blade, which is slightly heavier at 742 pounds or so. I also upgraded the front suspension with height adjustable struts which helps not only to get the front end up higher, it preloads the coil spring moreso than the stock struts, resulting in less overall nose drop when the plow is raised.

Overall I am very pleased with the combination of Tundra and X-Blade, and have had no mechanical problems at all after two seasons of plowing.

16. mercer_me

I realy wish I had bought a 7.5' HD instead of my 7.5' SD.

17. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

No one says you have to stay with the SD... Sell the 7.5 SD and buy a 7.5 HD Also to be safe add timbrens to the front.

18. mercer_me

I'm a cheap ******* and I hate selling things for a loss like that.

19. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

See if Brad will take a trade.

20. mercer_me

Who is Brad?