1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Central Indiana Thefts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ceaman, Jan 11, 2003.

1. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Central Indiana look out.

The local Meyer dealer warned me that they have had more than a dozen people in the past couple weeks who were getting estimates for replacemnt parts. It seems that someone is torching framework to get pumps and other parts.

One guy even reported that while hunting he saw someone near his truck. Thinkning it was the DNR he approached the truck, the group loaded in thier pickup and rushed off, pulling the torch hoses in the bed of the truck as they were driving away. The guy found that they had pulled the harness thru the firewall, silenoid unmounted, and half of the frame bolts torched. Left unable to chase them as he couldnt raise the plow.
  2. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Thanks for the post, I'm not in IN, but we border..... He was hunting right, I know if I saw what he did,,,

:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

you better watch out Ceaman. Didnt you have your plow stolen once already?
  4. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

We took a report from a local dealer, someone had called about new lights for a Western ultramount. Seems the guy on the phone was not happy with the price, so he went to the dealer at night, and stole the lights off of an assembled unit outside. Can't understand why the dealer leaves all of his plows outside, maybe he will start storing them inside. (He has the room)

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

a landscaper in our area had an entire uni-mount plow stolen a few years ago. police figured vehicle that stole it had the uni-mount system on it. not to much help because WESTERN plows are on 85% of the truck out here. So, keep your plow inside if at all possible. and if you're reading this and you've ever taking something from a plower or off someone elses vehicle that plows....I hope you hit a fire hydrant and wreck both the stolen plow/parts and your truck!!:nono:
  6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree with OffRoadPlow. If I was hunting and saw that happening to my truck I know what I would have done.
    Plows are definitly to easy to steal. With the right equipment you could take everything except the plow sub frame and truck side wiring in less than five minutes
  7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

When I was in High School, we used to always be changing radios, trading tires and wheels with friends, swapping carbs for tires, etc. One swap I ended up with a unique car alarm. It came with a pager. I had an underhood siren for it, but never wired it up. I wanted to get a page and catch whoever it was redhanded. The alarm would set off the siren and the pager at the same time.

Instead of pin switches, it came with vibration sensors. They were sticky backed, and you mounted them on the door jambs. There was a set screw on the control unit, to set the sensitivity of the sensors. I had it fine tuned so if you even lifted the door handle quietly, it set off my pager. Never got paged and caught anyone, but it did go off a few times. I don't know if it was a door slamming on a car parked next to mine or what. The unit was like $60 back then. I would imagine today's alarms systems might have provisions for adding sensors (or pin switches). For instance, most alarms have provisions for 4 doors, and most trucks have 2. I would add sensors to the plow frame. :D that would set off the siren.

You guys that have plows stolen from home, need to go to Radio Shack. Just like motion sensing lights most people put by their front door, or on the roof over the garage, they make motion sensors that will ring a bell inside the house. I would rather get up because a stray dog went through my driveway than wake up and find my plow gone.

8. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

forget that alarm crap.they steal the whole truck around here.i lost my keys once and i got in my truck and fired it up in about 10 minutes.people who live 3 houses down had 3 cars taken in the course of a year.found them all gutted within hours in bridgeport which is a 45 minute drive from me.i would rather steal the whole truck then get 5 guys together with torches to steal something worth 3000 then have to pay off your buddies and load that heavy A** thing in the back of a truck.
  9. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I had a plowframe stolen out side my house I had it chained up and someone cut the chain and took the frame.About a month later i saw it on a truck so i got the tag number and showed the cops the marking i left on the frame and got it back.
  10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

that was very smart on your part to mark it.i thought about welding a plate on my plow with my name and address or something along those lines.
  11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

once i used a stick welder and welded my mane across the back of the moldboard cant bring myself to do it to my still good looking fisher
  12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

same here bwhite all new western plows this year but theres people out there who would love to have one for free.people even steal are christmas decorations because there to cheap to go buy a reindeere for 50 bucks.
  13. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

thats what i did i welded my initals on it
  14. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Yes MBD I did get one stolen last year..... January in fact. now the plow is either hanging in the up position or hidden in a garage. (not at home like before!)
  15. MLB

MLB Senior Member

no thanks

the card clashes with my ACLU card :)
  16. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Is that supposed to happen.....