1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

central hydrolics ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tom Smith, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

I have an 05 F550 Diesel ..... Its getting a crysteel dump bed installed soon and im trying to decide if i should get the pto driven bed.... or should i go with the central hydrolics. I need to buy a plow for this truck ( western 9' pro plus) so i could utilize this for the plow instead of the electric plow pump. What do u guys think would be the best way to go. I think central hydrolics would cost 2 or 3 grand more. But like i said i could use it for plowing and it might be more responsive then the electric system which gets slow after alot of plowing... and i would be able to raise the bed while the truck is moving with the tailgate spreader.

another question... should i get a western 9' pro plus for this truck..... the only thing i dont like about it is that it does not have a TRIP EDGE like my western MVP does.... instead the whole plow trips.... I was told a trip edge is better then the whole plow tripping. The truck will be used to do larger commercial lots...... Just looking for some opinions... hate to get the wrong setup... Thanks !!

2. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

Guess I'm not really seeing what you're asking... Is it Pto, vs. Electric motor and pump, vs. central hydraulics (not hydrolics)?? If so explain central hydraulics to me. Seems like maybe you're asking PTO vs. electric motor & pump in which case, I don't think you'd spend 2-3k more than PTO, PTO stuf is $$. As for the blade, I don't have a ton of experience, but my 8' western has the whole blade trip, and it's not really a problem. You have to hit something pretty damn hard to use it....

3. sam973

sam973 Member

I got a 05' F550 in late September. I set my dump up to run off the hot shift PTO off the torque shift auto. Works great and lifts fast. From what the dealer tells, the computer can be programed to run the PTO up to 10 or 15 mph. I have mine set up to run in park or neutral. As for the plow I went with the 9 ft fisher municipal/commercial series with the top metal foil. Its a very heavy duty plow, but the truck handles it fine. Have yet to use the plow, but I know it will work out great too.

4. sam973

sam973 Member

Forgot to mention I looked into the central hydraulics too, but was talked out of it by several body companies when shopping around. They said there really isn't room for the unit and that they would have to move things around and fab new brackets for alternators and things. With the diesel, dual batteries, and dual alternators its a very tight squeeze under there. It would have cost big $$ to do.

5. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

yea i have duel alternators and it is pretty crowded under the hood

6. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

Bottlefed - ITs either i get the dump bed to run off the Pto and use the electric pump that comes with most snowplows. OR I get a central hydrolic system and use ti to power the dump bed and also the plow.... Im sure it can be done......most of the city trucks around here have that setup even with the diesel. The bad part about the pto is you have to be in neutral when raising the bed.... so u cant raise it while driving when your salting.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  7. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Member

just had central added to my 04 F450 dump so I could run an under tail gate spreader. I'm still using my western plow pump, I like the electric control better. I have have electric over hydraulic pump on the dump bed (power up & down). But the line are there if I'd want to do the dump bed or plow.

8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

all of our f350&up trucks we buy have centrel hydro. all are deisel 4x4 and auto. sounds like your bodymen are too lazy to handle the work.

9. landcare pa

landcare pa Member

i would sugest the centrals to anyone we have 6 350-550`s all equipped with centrals and you can only get a pto system on a standerd truck ,who the hell wants anyone plowing with a stick . also recomend you have the line `s run to the back for a tailgate spreader. there`s a reason why all state trucks and town trucks have the central hydraulics . spend the money now and reap the benefits . :salute:

10. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

Tom,
    The pro plus is a great plow and you would not regret buying one. The only time that plow will trip is if it really needs to and the tubular quadrant acts like a shock bar to protect your truck.The wings are also like mini plow sections (well built like the pro plus)They also add another foot to your plow and couldn't be any easier to put on or take off with just one hitch pin for each wing. Whatever you choose its sounds like its going to be a sweet truck :nod:

11. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

My family has an 04 F550 with the Crysteel SS Tipper 4 yd on it. We looked at Central Hyd. but didn't think it was worth it. Boy were were wrong, the Crysteel electric hoist is the biggest piece of s*it ever. Slow, leaking, ungodly slow. Customers ask if its broken all the time lol. We are actually looking into replacing it with the PTO hoist which we didn't go with in the beginning because we thought it might blow the tranny, but after being so disapointed with the electric, we are definatly ready to try the PTO, and from the previous post it sounds like the tranny handles it fine. We won't look into central hyd. because we already spent the money on a 9' Fisher Muni/Comm. plow with the electric control, so it wouldn't be worth it.
    If you are just starting out tho, def try to get the central, then you can get your plow to work with, the dump body,and the spreader, more expensive but much more effective.

As for plowing, it handles the heavy Fisher with ease. If you get a Western, make sure you get the muni/comm. duty blade, the 550 will use everybit of it with a load in the back, its a lot of weight.

12. doh

doh Senior Member

Up to 10 or 15 mph or at 10-15mph? I have only read that the pto can be used in park or neutral. At 1200-2400 RPM's depending on the number of resistors.
    The pump does not put out enough presure to lubricate the trans otherwise. Also the T.C. has to be locked for the pto to work.

13. sam973

sam973 Member

That was the reason I didn't get the electric, slow and unreliable. I know some swear by them, but it wasn't going on my truck. We keep them too long. PTO or central hydro is the way to go. The 05 auto worked out fine with the PTO for me. Its suppose to be able to get programed to run in drive as well, but mine is set up to work in park or neutral for now. Apparently they can just plug in to the computer to change how the PTO operates. I don't run a salter on the truck so its not a big problem for me now.

14. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Go with the central hydraulics and let it power everything. You will also have the capability to add an undertailgate spreader in the future if you so desire. PTO's are far better than electric but you have the park/neutral issue to worry about. As for electric, all I can say is that it is better than using your hands to lift anything...The money you spend now is in reality a small amount considering what you have invested in the truck and plow, and over the long run it will be money well spent. The Western Pro Plus is a "fantastic" plow, you should get many years out of it and you will love it... payup

15. sam973

sam973 Member

Doh, I meant that the truck can go 10-15mph. Thats what the Ford techs told me at the time.