1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

central hydraulics

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowplease, Nov 26, 2009.

1. snowplease

snowplease Junior Member
    from pa

i have a gmc topkick 4500 and i want to run a single moter hydro salt spreader from my tranny hot shift pto i have a 15 gallon tank and a spreader valve wondering if anyone knows how to set it up its hard to get any info on this i have 6.6 duramax and an allison tranny i got 3 prices to have it installed ranging from $4500 to $5500 i have around $1000
    buget to do it
    right now the pump is running to a valve/tank combo for the dump thats about 3gallon tank thanks we are laying all the chips down on snow this year
    thanks any info is apreitiated

2. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

My central hydraulics r ran off of the motor with a pump and electric clutch, also if ur plow is going to be used on the same system u should use ATF fluid, if not then straight hydraulic is fine

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

I actually have a similar question here

I just picked up a truck that has a commercial intrench g101 pump. Pto driven. I'm not sure if it's a hot shift or not? 2000?? Ford f550 7.3 auto. 2 wd

From what I was told, if it's not a "hot shift". This set up will not work? If it is a hot shift, it may work with a bigger pump? Is that true?

If I have to get a clutch pump, what is a good gpm, and pressure..what do most spreaders need? I want to make sure that I have a big enough pump, so that I can use a pressure relief set up at close to idle speed so that the spinner doesn't speed up when or slow down when I'm on the gas

I was looking at a nice electronic valve set up that measured and monitored the gpm. Made by brand hydro.

The pot hydro pump...if I leave it on , am a waste gas, wearing the trans? Will it operate a "tool circuit " like a jack hammer?

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

Also I will not be powering a plow with this. I have had better luck with normal hydro electric plows. I like keeping the systems separate, helps wih resale of the plow, and I like the idea of being able to switch plows around, and running the hydro pu p only when spreading will increase its life span and decrease problems

5. LON

LON Senior Member

The Allison trans in this truck does not have a "live" gear to run the PTO. As a result of this when you slow down and come to a stop your hydraulics slows down & come to a stop unless you "bump" it into neutral. Your 15 gallon tank is fine if it truely holds 15 gallons. You have to take the length x width x oil level of the tank & divide it by 231 to come up with true gallonage. A 15 gallon tank from a popular buying place actually only hold around 12.5 gallons.

My quote to do a 6.0 in Ford's to a business on Tuesday was just shy of $5850.00

Is this off the trans or is it electric.

6. LON

LON Senior Member

Good old ATF - the killer of gear pumps! I use only ISO/AW 15 in my clutch pump systems.

7. LON

LON Senior Member

a "G101 dump pump" is just that a dump pump. Made to cycle a bed up & down and not really designed to run continuously. Depending on PTO a bigger pump could be used but this trans too does not have a live gear in it.

for a spreader only I'd do a 7gpm but you could do a 9

pressure relief has nothing to do with speed, flow does.

New one from Buyers?

Just remember what I posted in another reply about the trans.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

. osrry i didnt clearly state myself

- edit- if i put a new clutch pump on. is there any benifit in leaving or removing the current PTO pump /system. granted it wouldnt really be used once the truck is convered over to clutch pump. but is the current PTO pump or any of its componets hurting fuel economy, wearing the trans, is it usefull for a tool curcit? is it a back up?

9. LON

LON Senior Member

BENEFIT - w/o the clutch pump tied to the bed you have un-interrupted flow for the spreader. If you tie a clutch pump into a mechanical dump-body valve w/ power beyond to operate the spreader your flow in interrupted every time you stroke a handle (even if you split the flow w/ a divider). If you use the right electronic valve where the spreader is ported before the dump-body you can have un-interrupted flow. Better off leaving the dump body where it is at.
    Don't know if it would work as a tool circuit.

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

only things is , if you go to raise the dump body up in the air, you have to have the tq convertor locked up? and thus park, nuetral, or have to at the very leaset be rolling along? cant be on the brake? i was also told dont do more than 10 mph?

11. LON

LON Senior Member

Yes - park, neutral or rolling along around 5mph
    Unsure about being on brake.
    Haven't heard about doing over 10 but I've never done a trans mounted PTO on a Ford.