1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Central Hydraulics: Plow and dump don't want to raise but spreader works fine

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by allscapes, Feb 10, 2012.

1. allscapes

allscapes Junior Member

I recently got an 04 kodiak with central hydraulics. The hydro pump went bad and replaced it. But now the bed doesnt want to raise under a load and the plow doesnt want to raise either. Spreader works fine and the plow angles fine. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.
    Thanks

2. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

Get a pressure gauge and see what the pump maxes out at. It takes a lot more pressure to raise a plow and dump than to run a spreader or angle the plow. It could be just a relief valve setting...

3. allscapes

allscapes Junior Member

Thanks a lot. I'm going to go try that right now. Thanks again for your input!

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I would check the fluid level in the reservior. The front ram and dump cylinder are the biggest which requires more fluid. Do you know the reason why the first pump went out? If plenty of fluid, check hose routing to make sure all is hooked up correctly. Check pressure out of pump. Then check relief valves. Let us know.

5. allscapes

allscapes Junior Member

The first pump went out because the person who originally installed it just used a regular flow hose as apposed to a suction hose. The hose collapsed and ran the pump dry... It has plenty of fluid. As the oil warmed up the other night when I was salting the bed started to operate much better. I'm going to get a pressure gauge today to check the pump pressure and see if I need to adjust the relief valve.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I would venture to say that you might have had air in the system somewhere. Hopefully it will bleed itself out.

7. LON

LON Senior Member

curious as to what you found.

8. allscapes

allscapes Junior Member

Well everything is working good now. I assume it was just air in the lines because it just fixed it self over time... Thanks everyone for your input. This is a great website!