1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Central Hydraulics or Electric over?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by E&B, Feb 24, 2005.

1. E&B

E&B Member

I am purchasing a new plow truck this coming summer and are wondering if anyone has central hydraulics in a 2000-2005 Ford. I have researched it a little with state trucks and for some reason that they cannot explain the supplier of there trucks uses a pump and electric clutch driven by belt rather than the PTO provision on the tranny from Ford. Any one know of any logical reason for this? Also looking for suppliers of hydraulic supplies to outfit truck.

2. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

Well, if I'm thinking correctly, a PTO only works when you are moving...

My opinion, unless you're getting a commerical (450+) truck, stick with the standard HPU (a lot cheaper) and make sure you upgrade your alternator.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your pto will work if you moving or standing still..it is driven buy the input shaft in your transfer case. if you put the transfer case in N you will not move, but you will have power to the pto with the pto engaged.
    I have one running a winch on a 48 power wagon.
    But i would still recommend the electric pump for plowing and use the pto for something else

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Because Ford is stupid. :nod: The PTO shuts off as soon as you touch the brake. Actually, according to our upfitter, the Allison's in the GM's are the same way. Nobody knows why.

It depends on how long you are planning on keeping the truck. We have 2 550's (6.0's) with clutch pumps for plows and spreaders, one with a dump box, also. All of our new trucks will be outfitted with central hydraulics\clutch pumps. I am sick of being worried that every single part of the electrical system has to be at or almost at 100% in order for the plow to not suck the battery dry. Or I have to turn down the heater or shut off the headlights, etc.

For the length of time we are keeping our trucks it is more than worth the slight extra expense to invest in central hydraulics. We also have 2 7.3's with electrics, 1 works fine, the other is always running the battery down after awhile. New batteries, new alternator hasn't made a difference. I'm still kicking myself for not getting central hyrdaulics on these 2, I'm still tempted with the one.

I believe in the short run the electric is cheaper, but over the life of a vehicle it evens out or you come out ahead with centrals. Think cost vs. price, that's what really matters.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A little off topic.. but, if your pto shuts off with the brakes applied how would use the pto for a winch (pulling someone else out) or dump-box? I don't have a ford but that makes no sense to me, A better idea?

6. Mark Oomkes

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

7. E&B

E&B Member

I'm not concerned with cost, I just want the best for this new truck. I'll have to ask the Ford dealer about the PTO shutting down with the brake applied because that would suck. That would however explain why the state trucks with central hydraulics run a pump off the drive belts on the motor with a electric clutch.

8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

On any of our trucks that are plumed for salt spreader we use Central on all the pickups we use electric.All of our f350-550 are engine mounted clutch pumps anything bigger is trans mounted.BTW all are autos.

9. Mark Oomkes

If you want the best, then definitely use central hydraulics\clutch pump. You will not be sorry.