1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Central Hydraulics/Kodiak 7500

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Red Bull Junkie, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

Hey guys,

Any and all input would be much appreciated. I'm attempting my first foray into the world of larger trucks/spreaders and I'm a little green behind the ears. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 c7500 w/ a cat 3125/Allison auto. The truck is a crew cab w/ 35,000 actual mi and a 12 ft flat bed dump. Do these trucks usually need to be plumbed for central hydraulics to run a hydraulic spreader, or is that already set up with the dump bed/pto? Any other options, as far as spreaders are concerned, that would be viable?

2. Red Bull Junkie

Anybody have an approx. cost on running hydraulics for the salter? The truck currently has a dump bed and a hydraulic winch on the front I'm looking to purchase in the next few days. Any advice?

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

5-6 k for a central hyd.Your pto most likely won't run a sander. Mine raises bed,can not
    drive with it engaged. Max rpm 1200rpm.I installed an electric swenson under tailgate sander.Same as hydro unit with the exception of electric motor.4300$, 6 hrs to install.

4. LON

LON Senior Member

If it had been only a dump bed I would of suspected it to be a PTO / dump pump. The hydraulic winch now has me wondering if it has a PTO / single pump / 2-spool valve. It will depend on how the hydraulics is set-up as to what you will need for spreader operation.
    Need pics of hydraulics to be able to tell you.

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I've got the same dilemma. Are you happy with the electric???

6. leigh

from CT

Last year was my first with the under tailgate.No problems with it.Ran about 80 tons through it. Advantage was being able to fill whole bed with salt, 6-7 yds.That helped alot
    with the poor traction you get with these big 2 wd trucks. Notice a big drop off in traction as you start to run low! Easy to store in off season. Learning curve with raising the bed
    and keeping sander full without dumping salt over the back.Did that a couple of times.
    Biggest challenge for me was the lack of power down on my dump bed.It's like dumping a load and finding out you left your tailgate locked.When your down to your last yd or 3
    there's to much weight for the bed lower.I learned quick tricks to get bed down,backing up a hill while pushing down control,hanging my 225 lb body from the side stairs, putting
    a tow strap from the front of the body and driving over it with the rear wheels.This year
    I'm going to install a liner to help salt slide better.Nice to be able to use truck to move snow with out taking off the sander.Sorry if a little off topic.I don't see any disadvantages of running a electric rather than hydro. Dealer in N.J. told me contractors were running
    the electrics on their tri-axles and using on the state highways,said they were happy and there going through more salt in one storm than I use all year.

7. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

8. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

9. leigh

from CT

10. Red Bull Junkie

Thanks for all the info fellas. We are still negotiating, but I think I will be able to get this rig for about $7500 out the door which is an amazing deal- I'm still not sure I want to spend 5k on hydraulics + spreader+ plow+ luggers for the rear.

I figure there are two options. 1) Swap the flat bed for a dump and go the electric tailgate route or 2) purchase an electric Vbox for now and have room to haul Snow blowers ect on the front....don't ask how I intend to load/unload the blowers.....I haven't got that far yet.:D

I'm guessing I would only be able to get a 4 yard Box max (snowex, Buyers ect) but then there is the traction issue as stated previously. Here is an interesting option from Swenson though......any thoughts?

http://www.swensonproducts.com/Spreaders/VBoxSpreaders/VBELEVElectricDrive.aspx

11. Red Bull Junkie

Here is a pic

[​IMG]

12. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 2008 Kodiak 4500 Pickup bed. It is already "plumbed" for a pto If that helps you any... I dont even have a dump bed on the truck.
    And also why would you go through the trouble of adding anything to it i would get a truckcraft BEd and rep. Tailgate spreader for it... ALL ELECTRIC.
    Then what would be weird yet sweet is if you made a plywood platform in the front of the truck on the "front bumper" and put the snow blowers right there. Then put a Nice big Plow on the front.

That would be on hell of a weird setup though!

13. Red Bull Junkie

Very interesting Plow Man. The bumper has a 30,000 lb hydraulic winch attached to it.......I was planning on taking it off and maybe selling it but I wonder if It's possible to attach a 10 ft blade w/ out doing so. Neat idea. Keep em coming guys. In return I will post pics when it is outfitted!

14. Plow man Foster

If i were you i would Most deffinetly try to put the plow on without moving the winch. Could come in handy. When my kodiak gets stuck its about a 250 dollar bill if i cant get out! :realmad:

What part of MI are you from??

Also weight is your best friend!... The duallys spread your Footprint a little wider so in the winter the best thing is to have weight in the back to compensate for that.

15. Red Bull Junkie

Ouch. That would get old fast. PM sent.

16. Red Bull Junkie

17. Plow man Foster

Have you ever considered Using Liquid calcium Chloride/ Brine??? We use it 80% of the time and LOVE it!
    The guys who use it Love it, the ones who have tried it HATE it!

This would be cool on your truck:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Red Bull Junkie

Nice to know I'm not the only plow jockey surfing plow site to the wee hours. lol.

I have had more interest in using cal/salt brine lately. They had a class at the MI snow show but it conflicted with another session that I wanted to attend. (what a flop the show was this year by the way).

During what conditions don't you use brine? Do you make your own salt brine/calcium combo or just use straight cal? Can you tell me more about your experience using this technique?:popcorn:

19. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Honestly, I think the truck is too big, but that's my opinion and I don't know what accounts you have to use it on.

I can haul 3.5 tons of salt, or around 3 yards in my C3500HD, and it's a smaller truck compared to the one your looking at and I can still manage smaller tighter lots, and turn around and do a 6 acre complex.

Another thought too is that if you go with a central hydro system, it would be harder to install a a V-plow or Wide-Out/Blizzard plow. You can do it, but it would be a pricey valve body to run it. A strait blade would keep you costs down if you run it off a hydro pump.

20. Red Bull Junkie

Thanks for the input White- We service mostly large apartment's and some Industrial sites. We also have some smaller properties (day care facilities, small retail) but those can be handled with our 2 yard trucks.

I think this unit is going to earn it's keep carrying a sidewalk crew (crew cab) and a large amount of ice melt product, as this will eliminate reloading and improve efficiency- We can also use this rig in the summer months.

good point about the straight blade although, i'm concerned that the truck may be to big for a wide out type plow. I'm thinking more along the lines of Wausau or Bonnell grade.