1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Central hydraulics/auto lube question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Dec 8, 2015.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    I bought a 1999 IH 4900 at auction sight unseen. It has central hydraulics that are working without using a switch. It's not the type that run off the front of the engine. It looks like something is bolted near the bellhousing, anyone have any info that could help me understand how it works?

The truck also has auto lube...how does it know when to lubricate?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pto, should be a switch SOMEWHERE. Start looking.

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Never been around a truck with auto lube, but all our ag equipment with electric auto lube was on a timer that it pumped every X minutes/hours etc, and the mechanical auto lube has a setup similar to a chain saw bar oilier system where it turns slowly but constantly.

On the central hydros, is there no box with a knob to pull out/push in anywhere?

4. xtreem3d

I know I sound stupid but I didn't see one..i will look closer tomorrow. When the truck got delivered I was able to raise the bed immediately without any switch unless a switch had been left on.
    Steve

5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Congrats! Glad the auction route worked out for you. Post pics when you have them.

6. xtreem3d

Thanks
    PS...this was an IL DOT truck if that gives anyone a clue to the PTO

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

First the auto lube, see if its working, the will be grease residue around all the areas, king pins and such. And you no it ain't greasen the drive shafts. If the stuff looks dry, it ain't working. Take it off and install grease fittings.
    Look at the hydraulic pump, there should be a air line, or a cable control. If nothing then it does run constantly, I have seen these on town trucks. There should be a filter in the return line, replace it, they get neglected. :nod:

8. xtreem3d

Here is a pic of the control box...there is one switch that is "broken" ( doesn't toggle)....the one closest to me, not really visible in the picture and the light bezel is missing so I don't know what it was for

IH box.jpg

9. xtreem3d

My fittings are wet...is the canister filled with special grease?

10. xtreem3d

Here's a close up of the box..it's not mine but it's the exact same...the first big switch to the left, closest to driver

IH box2.jpg

11. Randall Ave

The one on the left might be a master, gives power to all the other switches. Ya gotta look at the hyd. pump and see how/if it is controlled. Have ya had stuff this big before?

12. Randall Ave

What ya got foe a engine, how many miles, and does it have a hour meter?

13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I've only driven the stuff up to 2001 but the hoist was always live, switches were for aux.

14. mr.lawn works

mr.lawn works Member

Xtreem3d I sent you a pm last night! Give me a call 563-212-3871

15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Let's see some pics of the truck

16. xtreem3d

Sorry no reply guys...just got to the computer tonite. The switch I mentioned is apparently to dim the strobes from day to night. I have not gotten to crawl under the truck yet. The engine is a DT 466E. About 110K miles, don't remember the hours. ( only been in truck once since it got here)
    Steve