1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Central hydraulic help

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Dec 15, 2012.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Guys.
    i need some hydraulic help/ I have an old municipal truck with central hydraulics. Just got a plow for it ..the plow goes up and down and goes left BUT not right. It has a joystick with 2 cables, one for up/.down/ and one for left right. I have traced the cable back to the manifold but i want to understand what comes apart when i try to take it apart. I can't find any diagrams anywhere (Google). Does anyone know where i could find a diagram of the valve parts?
    The plow hasn't been used in years so is it possible something is stuck in place even though the cable will move the plow to the left?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

Yes there could be a couple of issues

the cable might be stretched or out of adjustment, the valve body itself could be stuck.

do you have a pic??

when you angle the plow, are you pushing the cable into the valve body that makes it currently angle or is it being pulled away from the valve body

3. xtreem3d

Hi CSI,
    The cable is being pushed into the valve body. I was by myself so I can't say that I could see the cable "bulge" or flex like it was hitting something. I don't have a pic tonite but I will take some tomorrow,
    Steve

PS I just re read your post I may not have explained.properly.....Joystick left pulls the cable and moves plow left...... Joystick right pushes cable into valve body and nothing happens

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like there in not enough throw in the cable take the cable off and work the vavles

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ya, I would venture to say a stuck valve or something of the sort also.

At least you know that there is oil moving through the valve body if you've got other movement.

Check your quick coupler fittings for the left side cylinder that would push the plow to the right. Could be you don't have it fully on and it's not allowing oil to flow through it.

6. xtreem3d

I have replaced the couplings hoping that was the problem but it wasn't. as far as taking the cable off I am not sure how to I guess. It is threaded into the valve body with a jam nut but it looke like you would have to undo he other end of the cable from the joystick to get the cable to rotate(turn)......like if you had a hose hooked to your plow and you tried to unscrew it at the ram, the hose would twist up unless you undid it at the pump first. I was hoping to avoid having to undo the joystick ends because it is very cramped in the cab where this was originally install, and the seats are in the way so if i don't have to unbolt 30 year old seat brackets that would be nice

7. xtreem3d

Here is a pic of the valve assembly

IH valve1.jpg

ih 004.jpg

8. White Gardens

Your going to have to take the allen screws out holding the cable assembly to the valve body.

The end of the cable attaches to the valve in the body, so I'm thinking that the whole valve should slide out with the cable as the cable will be attached to the valve.

This is only a guess as I've never had one apart, but I understand how it all comes together.

9. xtreem3d

OK that sort of makes sense. If I were to unbolt the allen screws then any adjustments must be made by screwing in or out the cable where it goes into that longer fitting that is held on by the allen bolts. Any idea if I have to worry about check balls, springs ect....as the valve comes out?
    Steve
    PS What are the caps on the backside of the valvebody do?. They are held in by 2 screws

10. White Gardens

From diagrams I've looked at, I'm pretty sure that it's just the backside of the valve and has a spring under the cap.

Here's what I would do first before anything.

Have someone in the truck holding the lever in the position you need it to move the plow. Then you push on the plow to try and move it back to the right. This might do the trick.

I had air in the lines of my old truck and had to do this in order to get it to move with a central pump, though a smaller under the hood plow pump, and not a full fledged central hydro system.

I'd try to get a part number off the valve body and look up some diagrams first before disassembling. If you can't find anything, I'd find a local truck builder or hydraulic shop and see what they have to say.

I personally wouldn't think twice about pulling apart that valve because of the past experiences I've had, but then again, I don't know your mechanical skills and don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  11. White Gardens

Here's a simple diagram that might give you a little more insight.

[​IMG]

12. xtreem3d

Thanks for the diagram. I have already tried to move the plow to the right while pushing it against a dumpster to free it up but it didn't work. Another question...how does the cable end attach to the hole in the valve as per your diagram.
    Steve

13. White Gardens

The diagram I posted has what appears to be a lever controlled valve. From other pics of cable controlled units I've found, it appears there are threads on the end of the cable that probably thread to the valve or a hook of some sort that the Cable is able to slip over and tighten with a nut.

14. White Gardens

Part of me wonders also if you take the spring end apart, you might be able to free the valve that way. Without taking the whole thing apart. It might be just stuck enough, along with the spring tension not allowing the valve to move. I'd take the spring cap off and the spring and start moving the lever.

15. xtreem3d

OK I will look at it tomorrow.

16. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

In order to remove the spool from the valve bank, you must remove the cap from the back and unbolt the centering spring from the spool. Then push the spool out the front.

17. 99LsSilverado

99LsSilverado Junior Member

xtreme3d
    If you are wanting to take the cable off and open up the valve I have experiance with this style.
    I took your pic and made some pointers on what to do in order
    1- Take off the jam nut all the way and let it hang on the cable housing
    2-Take the two allen screws out of the valve housing
    3-Back off the black plastic housing till off of the threads
    4-There is a pin that holds the cable to the spool on the end
    5-Take off the the cap and the centering spring
    Then you will able to take the spool out
    But with what I have seen it is common to have the centering spring to break and jam up so it will only work in one fuction and not the other.
    I hope that this helps you out
    [​IMG]

18. White Gardens

And there you have it...........

19. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Very informative

20. xtreem3d

Thanks everyone...and thanks for the instructions 99LS..I will try it later today. My biggest concern is that the allen bolts in the front or the screws in the back holding the spring cap on will break off so I will try to soak them this morning and try later today,
    Steve