1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

centerlink replacement?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by redjeb, Mar 10, 2003.

1. redjeb

redjeb Junior Member

If I'm replacing the steering on my 98 Ram, do I need to replace the centerlink? I've already redone the upper & lower ball joints, and I'm planning on getting the tie rods, pitman & idler arms taken care of in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering if I have to replace the centerlink? Any advice would be much obliged.

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

it depends on whether the centerlink is a wear item or not.

meaning does it have any joints in it, or not.

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

also.

welcome to plowsite:waving:

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

redjeb,welcome to plowsite! Do you mean track bar on the Dodge? Unless its a 2wd,there is no idler arm on the 4x4's. There are also control arm bushings you might want to check while your there,they get broken down and deflect a lot over time over time,adding to the wanderign squishy steering feel they have.

5. redjeb

redjeb Junior Member

It's hard to tell from the manual (the GM service manual) pics whether or not the ball joints are in the end of the centerlink, or if they are in the tie rods. It's a 2wd, so it's not the track bar. The part is called the centerlink, but much to my chagrin this is the first time I've workend on steering, and it's hard for me to tell if the ball joints are in the centerlink or not. The centerlink is a dealer-only part, whereas I can get everything else at Autozone.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Redjab,do you have GM or Dodge? you posted its a Ram in the dodge section,but are looking in a Gm book?:confused: ill tell you this the ball joints are definetely not in the center link.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your wondering wether the ball stud (wearable part),or joint,is part of the centre link or the tie rod,the easiest way to tell is to look at the nuts.If the nuts are on the the tie rod side,then the joint is part of the centre link.If the nuts are on the centre link side,then the joints are part of the inner tie rods.

Not sure which truck you have,but most of the don't have joint's in the centre link.The joint's are in the pitman arm,idler arm,and inner tie rod ends.

The best thing to do is CHECK THEM for play,before just replacing everything.While checking them you should be able to spot which parts are bad,and which ones have the joints in them.

8. redjeb

redjeb Junior Member

Oops. . . it's the Chrysler service Manual

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it's a 2WD Dodge,then there are no joints in the centre link,it's just a piece of metal.All the wearable joints are in the pitman arm,idler arm,and tie rods.