1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Center shoe scraping better than plow on 8.2 V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Nov 19, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a new V plow last spring, after the season, dealer wanted to close them out.

Anyways, yesterday I tried it on some cement at one of my accounts, even though there was only 1/2" of snow, just to work with it, see if everything scrapes like my other straight blades did, etc.

I'm not running shoes anywhere on the plow.

What I found is, that the center hoof "squeegeed" right down to the pavement, while the blades left a 1/8" of snow / ice.

Now this wouldn't REALLY bother me, except... 1) I'm going to have 6" wide lines everywhere I plow, and 2) on the outside edges of the 6" wide area the hoof ran, there's a little ridge of snow 1/2" high because the snow didn't get caught by the blades.

It's sort of like the hoof got caught and folded under almost.

I will say this too...........

I didn't buy the plow with this truck, and when the dealer put the undercarriage on, it was too high. I lowered it to the same as my other truck (2003 Dodge Ram) which the plow WAS mounted for.

Could it be something as simple as since I have different sized tires on the 2005 Dodge (285 / 16's) vs the 2003 (265 / 16's) that it's thrown the angle of the blade off enough where I'm "driving over" the hoof??

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

My RTII is pre hoof, you might want to look at the new cutting edge it eliminates the need for the hoof.
    As for the scraping ability of the plow, remember you need to break in the cutting edge. Look at the edge, the new one it will sit on the heal as you wear it down a little it will develop a knife edge from scraping on the pavement.
    shoes... I run the center one adjusted almost all of the way up, It's just there to protect the center from damage. Ie going over curbs.
    the ones on the wings are all of the way up.

3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

The hoof will grind down to the same depth as the blades pretty quick. My center scraper sometimes fold under when I am plowing gravel, but that is the only time. I would go out a plow for a day and see what it is doing after everything gets broke in. I can't remember what the height of the push frame is suppose to be I think 16" but am not sure. Check that as it is awfully important to blade angel and ware.