1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Center Pivot Pin Keeps Breaking MVP Plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mini_blaine, Feb 2, 2014.

1. mini_blaine

mini_blaine Junior Member

Hello,

I have 9'6" MVP Plus and am having problems with the main pivot pin that holds the two wings together breaking.

This is the forth time that it has happened and when it does, it is also breaking the angle cylinder ram where the pin goes through it.

The plow does not get abused and is use for driveways.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Also does anyone know if your can replace just the ram instead of the whole cylinder?

Thanks

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Wow 4 pins! I have never replaced one! Did u replace the pin with an original Western part or fabricate something out of round stock? And when u replaced it did it go in easy or did it bind and need to b forced in?

3. mini_blaine

The first two pins I replaced were western parts, the last one which lasted the longest was some round stock I had.

They go in easy and do not bind at all.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That is a mystery to me. As i said i have never been asked to replace one. I hope someone else speaks up...

5. mini_blaine

It's just crazy, I can't seem to figure out why it happens.

I could live with it but the fact that it breaks the hydro cylinder ram as well and for some reason you can replace all the seals in it but not the ram is just stupid.

6. mini_blaine

I did talk to someone at Douglas and they told me that they are now using a heat treated center pin and it is stamped on the top saying so.

They offered no help in being able to replace just the ram rod in the hydro cylinder.