1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

center hinge and pin issue

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DIRISHMAN, Jan 1, 2011.

1. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Quick question can anyone explain if there is a difference in the center hinge and pin in the fisher vee verses the western mvp in strength. I was told even though there are from DD but that the fisher has a strength issue compared to the MVP ????

2. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Dont know for sure?

Well bent pins is always an issue with a V plow and I wonder if you can cross referance the part #s some how to see if its actually the same pin now???
    I can tell you that Fisher recognized that the original pins in the XtreameV's were all TOO soft and that the present replacement is of a different composition than the earlyer pins were. I had a friend with a 1st year XV and he was changing it every year and he replaced it last year[with a new style pin] and pulled it this fall and said it was still perfect so they are certainly harder than the original pins were. I have a last years model XV with the newer pin in it and after last season I pulled it to grease it and it was just wearing thru the silver plating they use and had NO signs of actual wear on the pin itself yet that I could measure with calipers??? Its a darn good idea to keep it well greased
    Good luckThumbs Up

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Same exact pin, same exact hinge. Slight differences but basically the same plow. Notice the MVP has a trip edge also just like the XV

4. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

The new pin says BM HT on the top. That info taken from 2Cor- Thanks

5. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

i found i had alot of excisive play in my hinge, they changed my wings and pin under warrenty, I checked it the other day, only 3 storms of plowing and when in the scoop mode i find there is still alot of play in the hinge area, guess it is how these plows are made. I know that the old boss that we have at work, which is a 2001 plow has almost no play in the hinge area, and it is beat on by everyone at work

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The hinge design definitely isn't the greatest. The load is placed on two points vs what every other V plow has (including the old EZV) which use multiple points/hinges to spread the load. Otherwise they are awesome plows.

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

There is some play in the wings, even if the pin is OK. Make sure there is EQUAL play in both wings. Most of the play comes from the pins on the front of the wings, not from the center pin. Does on mine anyway........

8. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

yes i relaize that there is some play, but to me, it should be designed that there is not as much play as there is, like said the old design had much less play.

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

An interesting note on this is that when I pulled mine this fall I guess I just assumed that the pin beared on all the castings of the hinge .............. it does NOT the long casting in the center showed no sign of preasure on my pin at all and only the four points in the hinge points themselves were worn thru the plating on the pin but the whole middle where it passes thru that longest casting. showed nothing. After I looked at it that made more sense but it still seamed odd. I am sure that as time goes on all of us will see wear or bent pins eventually............... my buddy that bought an XV new the first year they came out; says he would rather pull his Fisher with a rope by hand, than push a Boss plow with his truck!!!! God knows its been beat to death on here; and there is certainly plenty of room to improve the hinge and maybe had they made the casting lenghts about double what they made them so the load was transfered over a much greater surface area it would have helped this alot .
    When you hear Red plow guys telling about the plow "flopping over" everytime they need to try to stack wet snow up in the air in the scoop position and they are always trying to come up with some new special "spring" tensions that might cure it , And then the next guy says the darn thing wont trip at all; in certain positions, and practically tore it off the front of the truck and put him through the windshield And the next guy is complaining about the wings coming back at different angles, and different rates ,and there is the no controling the backangle rate it just snaps back to the stops every time? And someone else put on oversized springs, and tore the attach points right off the plow etc etc. I am not sure this hinge thing is the end of the world . I have some awesome pictures of a Boss Plow that has the hinge compleatly torn right off the plow and trashed it ................ he hit a well casing going 15mph .............. so they aint bullet proof either.................. The hinge is the weak point ;but maybe for a dam good reason???? Sorta like a fuse eh?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011