1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

center cylinder and chain adjustment question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dlstelma, Nov 21, 2011.

1. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

how do you have your chain set?
    since i changed the fluid recently, i noticed the center cylinder does not collapse all the way when in float.
    the cylinder shaft is exposed a few inches.
    i have my blade drop set at fast/almost free fall.
    in other words, the quill is open for fast dropping.
    is my chain adjustment too loose?
    if it's not loose enough, i don't get the "float" when i approach a low spot, but then i want to stack/ lift as high as i can, too.
    i guess i have to find the happy median?
    or, does your cylinder collapse entirely?
    maybe there is something wrong with the breather?
    help/ advise/ direction please....thanks.

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

When the truck is on a level surface and you lower the blade there should still be some of the ram sticking out so it can float on a low spot. When you raise the blade up with where you have your chain set see if the aframe hits the stops. If it does it doesn't matter how much you tighten the chain it won't lift any further.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The lift frame where the chain hooks in is designed to leave some slack in the chain. When I build a plow I put the control into float mode (green light on) and then I get out and push the lift frame down as far as I can, collapsing the lift ram completly, with my hand. Then I hook the chain in the tightes link I can. Once the chain / chains are in place you will see that there is still some slack so the plow will drop into low spots. The chains have nothing to do with how high the plow will stack. That is the advantage of chains over solid linked lift cyliners. When the plow is stacking all weight comes off the chains and the blade height is only limited by the stacking stops (if you have them) or the a-frame hitting the light frame.