1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cell Phone + Web Cam = Know when to plow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I just noticed on the sprint website that I can have real-time web cams viewed on my cell phone and that got me thinking.

Set up a web cam at strategic locations around your route, have them point at the parking lot or a ruler, whatever. But then all you have to do is check your phone to see if your trigger has been met.

Now a question for the computer geeks on this site, what is the easiest way to set-up a web cam at a business without disturbing there local intra-net. How much would this cost?

I'm thinking use and old laptop with a cell phone Internet card in it, put the hole thing in a locked box and run a weather proof cam out of it.
  2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

You could do that, but I think you will find after all your costs, it's cheaper/easier just to pay one driver an extra $40 on snow nights to patrol. Especially when you salt. A camera won't notify you if it's getting icey, etc... There are 3-4 companies, we all work together. We take turns having one driver patrol the sites and he keeps in touch. If things start to get icey, snow, etc... he lets us know. And the best part of this service, we don't have to pay when it's +9 in the middle of December :)

Cell phone data access, laptop cards, etc... can get expensive quick. Accuweather is also good for monitoring area specific sites.
  3. snyps

snyps Senior Member

Too expensive, and with the webcam you will not be able to tell the diffrence between 1" and 3". You will find that you need to be out there anyways.

Good thought, won't work too well.
  4. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Personally, I like my customers to see my trucks on their property. . . . I make sure the guys have the warning lights flashing and do their best to be seen. Shows the customers (and potential customers) that we're on top of it. . . . .
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like alot of work too me.
  6. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Ahhh ...Some ones getting anxious.
  7. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I just wake up around 2 & look out the window. On my shopping centers, I went & talked to the management of every store & asked them to call me if I hadn't been there yet. That way we could make sure the surfaces don't get slick.