1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cell Phone Tower sites?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick76, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Anyone ever plow any of these? any insite to the pros and cons of them?

2. leon

leon Senior Member

cell phone towers

The issue with towers is location, location, location.

The ones around here have stone road beds with or with out drainage ditches(raised road beds).

Depending on the location, and whether the land owner would allow you to stake the road edges is a big issue as many of them are on private property and the land is rented to the tower operator.

The roads are built up and narrow to avoid taking up a lot of room square area on the landlords property for easier access in wet conditions and to reduce the chances of a cranes falling off the road bed from bad ground or sinking as the stone wil not give very much.

The other issue is buried or exposed power lines and cable trays and moving snow or trying to move snow within or over the fence barrier areas(if applicable) as you will have to be mindfull of the switch gear and transformer locations within the barrier area. If you are fortunate to have a protected switch gear house that has an oil bath switch gear you will have deeply buried utilities.

One more huge issue is electrical ground faults and electrical hazards for plow operators and vehicles involving summer and winter lightning storms as line voltage of 4,000 volts 3 phase power is typically delivered to thise sites as the tower may have a very large herd of antennae rentals on the tower requiring massive amounts of energy for repeaters and microwave horns and dishes.

Many of the repeater towers have connected roads along ridge tops and are at the mercy of the elements which may require snow blowers.

A 4 wheel drive high horsepower farrn tractor with a Degelman snow blade as an example and a rear mounted snow blower with a solid auger to remove snow banks would work well as the rear tires will be loaded and chains will be an excellent addition for climbing access roads which may be impassable otherwise due to snow.

3. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I was contacted once to do about 17 sites through Verizon, had to turn it down due to lack of equipment and the drive time. I checked just a few of the sites and they looked like a pain in the butt. Like stated before, a tractor with a blower would be the best option in most cases. Most of the roads had very deep ditches next to them and it would be very easy to slip off the edge and get stuck.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I do one it's a radio/cell tower, it's easy just need to keep it "passable" only plow it after a few little storms, one big one, or if it gets windy and drifts over the road. One difference for me is I know the ownerThumbs Up I was just there today, got a call this morning and he told me they were adding stuff and needed to get out in the field to rig up. Headed out and plowed about 2acres of field

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  5. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

a national contacted me this year about one (NG&G) and wanted to pay about 75.00 i laughed and said have a nice day

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I plow a lot of cell sites. As far as pros and cons, the nicest thing about them is that they're stress free. None of them have to be open by 6am - my contract is so flexible I can do them a week after the storm if I wanted to. I just have to be able to get a site done at the drop of a hat if it's requested so I just do them all as soon as I can to make sure I'm never in that position.

There are 2 big drawbacks. #1 there's a lot of driving involved. Each site I do is about 15 miles apart and I do a few dozen places. You really rack up the miles fast. #2 you are plowing on some rough terrain and there's some wear and tear to take into account.

Were you approached by a cell service provider or a company that specializes in tower maintenance? I've worked for both and there's a big difference in pay.

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks guys.....you've pretty much summed up exactly what I was thinking which is a good thing (I don't like surprises)

Camden, you have a pm.....