1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cell Phone of choice?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Aug 11, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

We all have them, if ya don't you are one of the very few with out.

What is your favorite type of cell phone? Not the coverage company, however if ya want to talk about that feel free.

I am currently on my 3 phone. 1st was an old analog phone all I had for coverage at the time. I have now had 2 different digital, and like the StarTac phone the best. Oh my coverage company is ATT the only company that provides enough coverage in my area.

What about you guys?

Geoff

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

To keep it short!

Sanyo 4500, love the features.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I had the old style Motorola brick flip phone,it was the best,but big,and no features.The new digital has terrible signal,and Im always getting calls dropped.I broke that,and got a Nokia 6500-its the biggest POS,i ever had,nothing but problems.Now i have a loaner Sony,it works good,but i havent figured out the features yet.The only big service providers in our area are cell one,and Verizon.I have verizon,but its service is spotty,and neither one of them get good coverage.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think the old analogs are better, my motorola 650 was great the new phone can hardelly keep a signal.And the carriers they are another story rapping every one with 2 year contracts and bad service and extremly high prices.And what about having a combo hard wired in your truck and the ability to have it portable,I know that they can do it because one of our old phones was like that .That way you can have a true hands free operation and not that stuff that you have to stick into your ear and reprogram the phone to use.

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Nokia 6120 and a hands-free kit in my truck. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. My calls are usually very good, and the phone has a lot of features. The only problem I have with it right now is that for some reason, the hands-free kit isn't turning on when I turn the truck on. Other than that, it gets a solid "thumbs-up" in my book. Cell One on the other hand, I think they could use a little improvement.

-Tim

6. I think cell phone dealers have knocked used car dealers off the top of the unscruplous salesman list!!

7. LawnSmith

LawnSmith Member

Motorola i700plus hands down w/ Nextel service. i could probably run over this phone w/ my truck and still use it. plus, the 2-way radio feature is terrific. i live in louisville and have talked to people in nashville and up north in chicago on my 2-way. priceless!!

8. bdemir

bdemir Member

Have the sanyo also and have to say its the best phone with features like speaker phone and a big easy to read screen with many features. The sprint service is terrible. It was not this bad until a few months ago and now its very bad. Many dropped calls and no service in many areas. My next service will be another.

9. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I am in logging too, and find myself in places with marginal (or no) service often. I have had various handheld/flip phones, and all of them still can not reliably compete with my 10 year old Motorola bag phone with remote antenna. I keep a flip phone and call-forward from the bag to it when out of my truck. Works for me.

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Just came back from Maine and my buddy delivers fuel to woods crews. Where they are at you need a bag phone with the 3 watts. Digital service is no where to be seen, I now have a place to dump my old bag phones.
    Anyway I had a Nokia digital, and it was junk, switched to Qualcome 820 and it was a good phone but was worried about radiation, so I switched to a startac. Great little phone, but to light duty for construction. Next phone will be a nextel.
    IMO the motorolla's make very good phones.
    Dino

11. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

those nextels are great!!! especially the radio part.

JCurtis

12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I've got Audiovox with service from Verizon. I preferred my old bag phone for power, but nobody makes them anymore, and they are purely analog. The digital is nice, when it works! Service here is spotty with all the hills and valleys, lot sof times I'm hitting off sites across the lake in NY so I got the "one rape" plan that has no roaming or LD charges. Once I'm near Albany I have service all the way down into southern PA, that's the farthest I've been since I got the digital service. If we ever get Nextel up here I'll give it a try, but there apparently isn't the population base to make them want to set up here in the boonies.

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

My cousin had a nextel service he was going to use it for his business as his main phone line.He hated it could not get out in the house only out side he said.Then they think there stuff is the best out there so they keep there prices jacked way up.I know of another landscaper in my area he has them and wants to go back to regular hard wired 2- ways he says that if you forget to charge at night dead batteries or they leave them in the truck and can't hear it anyways. good idear they just need to get down in price.Not pay more and get less.

14. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I have had a ton of diffrent phones.My first was 15 years ago with a motorola hand held two way radio phone.since then I have had 5 or six analog phones,and now about 5 digitals my latest is a Nokia 8260 which by far is the smallest and well equiped unit Ive had.I really like the way the ear piece hooks up,I have the phone set on auto answer and use a head set all the time.

15. LawnSmith

LawnSmith Member

it seem some people have mixed feelings about the Nextel service. personally, i couldnt be more satisfied. it may more expensive than other services but you get so much more service. i mean, i am paying 70 bucks a month but, all my incoming calls are FREE, unlimited use of the 2-way, 400 minutes a month, voice mail, paging, nextel 411 service and internet. anyway, besides that, the i700plus phone is a beast! i have dropped, kicked, sat on, this phone more times than i can count and it hasnent even phased it. not to mention, i have a 65 hour standbye time. i only put this thing on the charger like twice a week. i love this stuff!!

16. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm with Alan on this one. I have the Audiovox phone and Verizon service. The phone is OK and the service is OK in my area. Nothing really thrilling either good or bad. I do agree that my old bag phone seemed a bit better, but this phone is so much smaller and convenient, guess it's a trade off.

17. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I practically live on my phone:( I avg. around 1800 min. a month. Have had a Quallcomm 820 for about a year and still like it. The best part is the hands free kit. Mounts on the dash well (see pics in sig), and works fantastic:D . It has a voice recognition program in it (hands free kit only) and when I'm in the truck, I never have to touch the phone. I just say the persons name or the number to dial and that's it. When a call comes in it says "Incoming call, Answer?", If I say "yes" it answers, If I say "no" it silences the ringer. Pretty cool:cool:

Last year, while plowing, my wife had a "crisis" (as women tend to have LOL) and had to bend my ear for about an hour. I just kept on plowing. Got 3 large contracts done while she was gabbing. So I made money and kept the wife happy all at the same time!! How many times can you say that LOL!!

Greg

18. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

sorry, I meant Qualcomm 860:eek:

Greg

19. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

You going to sell me your truck yet Dockboy???

Tim

20. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

LMAO:D Tim.

You know Ford makes them everyday;)

Greg