1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cell Phone numbers - Do you give your number out??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clapper&Company, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Just wanted to know what you guys do!!

Pros and Cons of giving your clients your cell number

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

It's all I use. It allows people to get ahold of the person that makes things happen. I don't want them to call the business # since there's nobody there when I am out. If they call after hours, I simply don't answer & return the call the next day.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

CONS- phone calls every 5 mintues saying where are you, my drive hasnt been done yet..:realmad:

4. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I agree I got some real good clients there Dr offices, that want wet payment all the time.

I was thinking of passing it out to some of my real good clients, and the rest can call the office.

I just hate to be bug every 2mins... and not get any thing done

5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Just don't answer. When I call them back, I just let them know that I was working on a client's property & couldn't get to the phone. Or if it's after hours, I just let them leave a message.

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My cell number is my business line. I'm switching this week to 3 phones: the main business line, another phone for me, and a phone for my #1 employee. My voicemail says that if you have called after 5pm, your call will be returned the next day. If its snowing, you will get a return call as soon as possible. I usually let most go to voicemail and stop every hour or so and return calls for 10 minutes or so. Also, if they leave a voicemail, I can forward that message to my employee's phone so he can call them back if its on his route or I simply dont have time. Thats the way I do it, seems to work I guess...:dizzy::rolleyes:

7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

kind of late to worry about giving it out now because i had it on the sides of my last truck for two years and gave it out on business cards.

far as customers yes. if a customer doesnt have the number i think there is a issue. how would they call me?

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

My trucks are lettered.

It would be silly not to put your number
    on the side too:dizzy:

Your suppose to be a business man how do your customers contact you carrier pigeon?

Do people even have land lines any more?
    we haven't had a land line for over 6years now.

9. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

We got landlines, and if no one is in the office, I just check the VM every so offen.

Just wanted some input.

Sno farmer... Did you get rid of the landline when you got indoor plumbing :D

10. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Cell is the way to go. Like I have time to check voice mail at the house. At least with the cell if someone calls and I don't answer, I see the caller ID and know who it is.

I hardly get calls about plowing, most of my calls are construction related.

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I want to add a question to this:

If your giving out your cell number, is that your only cell? If so, do you anwser it "xyz plowing" everytime?

I have my cell number on everything, and its my only phone, I just answer it "hello". People seem to pause, and sometimes ask if they have "Image.." and I say "Yes this is Steve"

I am thinking of getting a dedicated business phone just so I can answer it "Image..." everytime.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wow, my phone never even rings during a snow storm. Why do guys get so many calls when it's snowing. I tell my friends to call when I'm not working.:D

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We have an outhouse so you can go inside and not behind the tree.

The hole is inside.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you keep it charged people could get hold of you!:realmad:

I only give it out to my commercial customers.

15. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

jd dave ur lucky

i get all the past flings and hook ups callin me asking what i am doing. then i say im out working. and then i kno the question is comming.. ............when ur done can u come do my driveway? but as far as customers yes i have customers calling me and only the resi drives. we do drive threws on comercial

office line and cell phone are on all proposals and billings

16. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Most new phones can be set up so that it has a different ring for family and friends . I just use my caller ID. If its not a number I know, I answer with business name. And always answer with my first name.
    All my regular cutomers I encourage to call my cell #. But its not published or advertised.Just the office number.

17. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

My cell number is both my home phone and business phone, and I have the number printed on the side of my truck as well as on my business cards. I have 137 names and numbers programed in my phone, so I know who is calling, and can personally greet each caller by name. If I do not know who is calling, then I answer the phone "This is Evan".

I've worked in the customer service industry for the last 15 years, and fully believe that servicing the customer and keeping them happy is job #1, so if I get a call at 1am and am sleeping, I will still answer the call.

If my business was much larger, and I had an actual office/staff to field my calls, then I think only my best customers would have my cell #. As it is right now, my business is small and I am trying to grow it, and having great customer service is one way to do so.

18. ECS

ECS Senior Member

We have two cell phones and no lnad line. We did away with our landlines back in 2003. All my customers can reach either myself or my wife. Both #s are om the truck and business cards. Every customer is in our phone so we know who is calling. We always answer like this, Hello, this is Bill or Hello this is Michele.

19. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

My business phone has always been a cell phone, 6yrs now. And I make it a point to answer the phone at all hours. I picked up one of my biggest and best accounts my 1st yr plowing because they called at 4:30am. I was working in the area and there guy did'nt show up to get the lot done. They have a Zero Tolerance policy and we make big money on this account every year. You never know who is gonna call at what time, that is why I answer all the time. Customers want to here a voice on the other end when they call, not an answering machine. It's all about customer service. That is one reason why I have done so well. I answer the phone.

James

20. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

Sprint/nextel Offers 2 Line (2 Number) Cell Phones.
    1 Business/ 1 Personal