1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cell phone messes with radios?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by a palustris, Dec 20, 2002.

1. a palustris

a palustris Member

Hi everyone. I was just curious about something. I have noticed in the past that if I leave my cell phone near the radio in my vehicles that the stereo will start to make wierd noises. Has anybody else had this problem?
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i get a ticking sound in both of my trucks, and my computer before my nextel goes off.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,mine does it too.I kinda like it cuz I know when the phone is ringing and i have the tunes cranked. :)
  4. a palustris

a palustris Member

My stereo will tick for no reason though. I check my phone and no calls are missed after that ticking. :confused:
  5. KenP

KenP Senior Member

It's a real pain in the butt, mine does it too.:realmad:

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

my truck radio does it also just before my cell phone rings. the same thing happens if im sitting in front of the computer, crackling noise from my speakers. could it be, ALIENS???:D
  7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Same here,dont know why but turn the phone off and ticking goes away,damn thing:gunsfiring:
  8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I had to redo a vhf band installation in a ems Ford Explorer. Everytime they keyed the microphone the rear wiper would activate!

Poor radio ground and improper antenna placement does funky things!

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Dont have that problem in the truck but in my shop if I'm on the cell phone and get within 1ft of the 13"t.v.VRC combo I have even if the t.v.'s off I get a buzzing and humming noise from the t.v. unit. It's more of a static buzz if the t.v's on.

Here comes the BRAIN CANCER everyone's been talking about. then microwaves will fry what's left of my brain!!!

All fun aside. I used to have the cradle for my hand's free close to the radio and got interference when it rang or when I was dialing out. Moved it about 6" away and the problem went away. Then I told my tech at the phone store about it and he checked the phone and wiring for the hands free unit. The phone had been dropped a few times to many and the leakage ( Radio/Rf/ Whatever waves ) were above acceptable limits. He fixed the phone and then replaced the wiring to the hands free with a better shielded wire and I was able to move the phone back.

While were on interference--------Ever keyed up the mic on the C.B. and had someone at one of you accounts come out and say you were comeing through on the loudspeaker, Intercom, drive through, or on there T.V. in the house??????

Just a word to the wise if you have a hopped up C.B. with a LINEAR unit on it. Jerre
  10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Mine has only messed with the radio since i added an aftermarket head unit. Had the phone antenna fixed and it still does it. I am attributing it to a differnt frequency that the aftermarket unit uses compared to the factory one. It seems like if i get anywhere near the radio it does it until i hang up. It really goes apesh!t when i get an incoming call, im worried that 1) its going to affect my radio, speakers, or even the phone itself or 2) that its emitting too much radiation and its gradiually cooking my brain...:eek:
  11. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Mine does this also,( Motorola iden, Mike service same as Nextel).

i can hear the interference before the first ring on incoming call.

Antenna must be at least 1 inch from your body when phone is transmitting. so if you use a hand free device, use the appropriate case or body harness to wear the phone, if not cancer may appear somewhere you really don't want if you use a clip to hang it to your belt.

further you are from the antenna station, the electromagnetism energy will be higher.

Take a look at all the warning in your phone user guide.
  12. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Just a short story about phones and interference.

When I was in highschool, my Dad busted me for drinking. Turns out he had accidently heard me talking to my friend on the phone while tuning channels on an old TV set in the basement. After I had made plans with my buddy and hung up the phone, my old man comes storming out of the basement yelling "SO, YOU'RE GONNA GET DRUNK TONIGHT EH!" Needless to say, everytime I came home he would be waiting for me to see if I had been drinking. That summer wasn't much fun and I ended up sabotaging that old TV.:realmad:
  13. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

My phone dosn't realy mess with my radio too much althoug a few times i have noticed it a little but my radio and computer do interfere with my fire pager when they are like a foot or two away or closer.

Ahh... modern technology, where all gonna die of cooked brains from radiation or something. :nod:
  14. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

my 2 cents..
    this is caused by the cell phone transmitting and interfering with the radio signals. also will interfear with the signals of cd players. this is a known problem if you have this problem there are really only two fixes. throw the cell phone out the window, but not a good choice. or two turn the radio off there is no really good fix for this problem it is just a thing that is going to happen with cell phones and radios.