1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cell numbers on trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dbdrgr150, Dec 20, 2005.

1. dbdrgr150

dbdrgr150 Member

i have seen a couple trucks in my area that had magnets with "call driver direct" with ther numbers on there, has anyone tried this before, what were the results?

2. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Anyone doing that must be doing something wrong because I've seldom had to advertise in the paper, let alone plaster my cell all over town. I'd never get any work done if the phone was ringing away........not to mention that it would irritate me to no end and probably end up out the window in a snowbank!

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Amen brother!

Not to mention cost in minuets.

4. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

That is crazy,
    I have a business cell that I keep in the truck but 99 percent of my clients don't call. Even if they did I do not answer it. what I do is check the messages after I get one. The only reason that I have it in the truck is I don't want to go to the office to check messages. It is a convinience thing I guess, but like Luppy said if people were calling all the time that thing would go out the window without one drop of hesitation.:gunsfiring:

Jason

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats the same thing as I do..:nod:

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Some times the cell feels like an electronic leash!!!
    I only get a couple of calls form having my cell# on the door every storm.
    Maybe the ring would not bother you co much, if it was someone with money (a customer) for you when it rang...

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Naw, wouldn't put it on the door- I have nothing on my truck indicating who I am.
    90% of my business comes from word of mouth from my clients- this is the first season in 4 years I have been short on my route and had to advertise.

I have a cell, all my customers have it and are told to call if they need me- mainly to cut down on the disturbances on the regular number at night. If they need to get out during the storm and I'm out plowing already they can get me directly to let me know.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Wouldn't it be much cheaper just to turn it off? :D

I use my cell phone as the biz number. It is on mag signs on the truck. Never been a problem yet.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I have more business than I can handle. I turn down people waving at me by their driveways all the time. Contracted regular customers come first. Will calls come out of the woodwork anyway when it gets over a foot deep.

I rarely plow a place that I havent PERSONALLY seen without snow covering it.

10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

My business line is a cell phone. I also have a personal phone. that way when I work I can take both phones. And when im not working I can leave the work phone charging. At the begining of Last year I had one phone for work and personal use. I got sick of customers calling when I was out with freinds, so I quickly got another phone.

11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Having your business number (cell or land-line) prominently displayed says you have nothing to hide. It is a major convenience for the potential customer to not have to look it up. Constantly reminding people that you are in the area is excellent for next years quoting. The phone doesn't ring off the hook with cold calls and if it is your customers calling than I would say maybe the route should have been done sooner.

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

The most often repeated statement I hear from my customers is that I always answer the phone, (I even answer it when I'm vacationing) often when I get a job, landscaping or snow removal, it is because other contractors haven't returned a voice mail message, or didn't show up for the estimate.

13. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

check DOT laws any truck over 10000# used for comm. purpose must have name and phone number displayed on side your dump should fall under that. By the way that is federal not state.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Never heard of that law? :confused:

If it's true, there are a LOT of violators.

15. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Why do you guys want to hide who you are? It's stupid in a business sense, as well as illegal.

And why would you not answer an incoming call from a customer?

My main business line is a cell # and I did that for the simple fact that it is easy to always answer the call.

Like GrnMtn said. It is tough to get work, at least in this area. By standing out and ACTUALLY answering the phone and having the truck lettered; shows alot of professionalism.

Any truck over 10,000gvw is required by law as of 1/1/06 to have a US DOT #, and to have that number as well as business name and phone number posted on the truck. And as far as I remember, magnetic signs cannot be used.

Current DOT law applies to all vehicles over 18.000 gvw. That is gross combined. So if your truck is 9,900 gvw and your trailer is 10,000gvw, and you don't have a DOT #.. You might end up in some serious crap!

We got a $3500 fine for not having it done in time on one of our trucks.

16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a cell phone that I use as the business line and my personal line. It is on my Dodge's extended cab windows and I have never had any problem. I pay about $130.00 pr. month for the phone, and it has unlimited everything. I can write the phone bill off on taxes because of doing it that way. When i'm plowing, I wear an earpiece hooked to my phone so I have no problems talking and plowing.:D

17. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

cell phone

I have a cell in the truck with me all the times and it's on my web site but I don't give it out !! I have a phone number on the truck but it's the office number and my wife calls me with address to go to.I don't answer it if it rings with the office ring tone till I am done with the driveway I am doing at that time.

18. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

Wow

All my trucks have 2 way radios so i have no problems dispatching .My business phone is a cell phone i answer all the time rarely does it go to voice mail ,we don't pay for incoming calls and nights and weekends are free .My customers are the most important thing to my business. I get full neighborhoods (contracted)by always answering my phone ..But if your smaller and cant handle the workload then i understand..But not answering to avoid your customers I feel too, is not good business..We are all providing a service and answering the phone is part of it !It has gotten me by this far , so why change it ,99% of our residential business are people that live in million dollar plus homes .hell i have never even met most of them .BUT THEY ALL PAY THEIR BILLS!!!!payup payup

19. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Wow,

I did not mean that I DO NOT Answer the phone. Simply put talking on the phone is a huge time waster for me not to mention a distraction that puts you and others at risk. I simply mean that I answer or return calls when I am done with whatever I am doing. I do not think that this is in anyway unprofessional. I return all calls to clients in a very short period of time.
    What I was getting at before is I have had those customers (PITAS) that call every 1/2 hour to know when there driveway would get done? Those calls did not get answered right away. But I have sent out a service guide with my contracts this year explaining how our snow plowing operation works and I have also eliminated any and all PITAS from the list. So now I can answer the phone when it rings which is almost never from my current clients.

Jason

20. nekos

nekos Senior Member

if i could take on more work i would have my # plastered all over my truck !
    even with out it and almost no advertiseing i have been turning down 2 or 3 new account's every week.
    im really doubting my decision to sub again this year.:mad: