1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CDL questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Nov 21, 2010.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys just about ready to take the CDL class B test but want some info. Did you guys actually check the trans fluid (auto) during the inspection? i can't find the answer as to why you remove the key from the ignition for test( i assume so no one else can start it?)...any help
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When I took my test (in a School Bus) I just told them what I would check. They were pretty easy going overall.

I don't quite follow you on the key question. But if you are not in the truck, neither is the key.
    The exception would be during vehicle inspection.
  3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Check ALL Fluids...And Yes the key is removed for Safety of you while you perform the inspection....I really would have thought Cretebaby would have been all over this one by now.....:confused:
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  4. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not opening up another can of worms on this one, but for MY test and MY employees tests we didn't have to check any fluids. We only have to do a visual exterior inspection starting from the driver's side door around the front and up the passenger side to the back. Crete seems to deem himself the CDL Queen so you may want to ask him.
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

for my test, on the pre-trip you didn't actually DO anything .

You told them what you would do.

I would look under the vehicle, ensure there are no leaks and check that the vehicle is sitting level, I would then check the headlights for proper color (clear) and that they are not broken or loose. i would then check the signal lights for proper color, amber, and that they are not broken and are attached correctly....................
    so on and so on and so on.

what's an auto transmission???????????

don't forget the seat belt.
    Our instructors told us that was a common failure, the would do the whole pre-trip, do the backing in the yard exercises, drive out the gate and the tester would say "turn around, you failed" because they forgot to put the seat belt on.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If I am the queen that must make you the jester because everything you post on the subject seems to be a joke. :nod:
  7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

Oh snap!

For my Class A test, I bombed the pre-trip my first time around. I was nervous and I forgot a bunch of stuff. The second time a few days later, I literally TOUCHED, identified, and pointed to every possible part of my truck and trailer. And it worked. I did not have to actually taker tire pressures, or pull dipsticks- but you should verbally tell what you would do, or what you would check daily.

The trooper gave me a little slack under the hood- I forgot to check for the belt tension/check for wear and he hinted me on to it at the end of that part of the inspection.

So I would just touch or ID anything and everything you can. Leave no stone unturned.

As for the key- YES, take it with you AT ALL TIMES! That's an instant fail if you leave it in the ignition. I even removed it and pocketed it when were where just talking in the truck. It should only be in the ignition when you are driving, or doing the in-cab inspection part.
  8. xtreem3d

thanks for the help...that key thing was driving me crazy because in a packet i have for studying they mentioned it more than once..have 2 more questions please...
    1. If your making a left turn onto a road with 2 lanes in each direction..you make your turn into the inside lane then put on your turn signal and change lanes to the outermost lane when safe..correct?
    2. when making a right turn onto a 2 lane road ( one lane each direction) you want your back wheels to be as close as 3 feet from the curb during the turn?
  9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

1. Kentucky CDL manual for left turns-

"On a left turn, make sure you have reached the center of the intersection before you start the left turn. If you turn too soon, the left side of your vehicle may hit another vehicle because of offtracking.
    If there are two turning lanes, always take the right turn lane. Don't start in the inside lane because you may have to swing right to make the turn."

That's really all it says...but I know what you are saying- if you have two lane to turn from, like the quote says, always pick the right lane to and then you'll naturally end up in the right lane to continue... BUT with only a single lane to make the left turn from, I think you turn into the lane closest to you (the left) and then signal and merge over to the right immediately. I remember doing that, and I passed! haha

2. The KY manual says nothing about rear wheel spacing from the curb. It does say this-

"Turn slowly to give yourself and others more time to avoid problems.
    If you are driving a truck or bus that cannot make the right turn without swinging into another lane, turn wide as you complete the turn. Keep the rear of your vehicle close to the curb. This will stop other drivers from passing you on the right.
    Don't turn wide to the left as you start the turn. A following driver may think you are turning left and try to pass you on the right. You may crash into the other vehicle as you complete your turn.
    If you must cross into the oncoming lane to make a turn, watch out for vehicles coming toward you. Give them room to go by or to stop. However, don't back up for them, because you might hit someone behind you."
  10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Sorry, but I couldn't see anything in here pertaining to the topic at all. If you don't have anything intellectual to say about the thread topic, were going to have to limit your posting to the "off topic" forum.

xtreem, on the left hand turns perfectearth pretty much said it all. Always take a left turn in your right lane, take it to the center and turn wide into the right lane. Make sure you are constantly checking your mirrors for cars, they actually look to make sure you are doing so. As far as curbs and turns, you can come within a foot if you needed to. Whatever you do don't hit the curb though, I believe it is as automatic fail.

On the pre trip, like I said we only are required to do a visual inspection around the entire truck. Lights on and flashers check the bulbs, bumper, hangers, springs, tires, rims etc. etc.. Back in the truck check the defrost, horn, fire extinguisher, trianlges, etc.. Turn the ignition on, check all your gauges are working, then do your AB test. Release your truck and trailer brake, and fan the brakes till your dash buttons pop out and your buzzer sounds. Put your sea tbelt on, and start the truck. Another big one, is not the leave the curb sill you have at LEAST 100lbs of pressure in your tanks, that's another automatic fail. You can give her a little gas, but don't rev it too high. Then your ready to go. Good luck!
  11. paponte

paponte Senior Member

If you don't mind me asking, if your going for your B why don't you just throw a trailer over 10k on the truck and go for your combo A while your there anyway? Never know if your might need it down the road?

God I hope I phrased that correctly, and all of my grammar is correct. I know Father Crete is watching me... I'm sooo nervous now.
  12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm afraid to add anything... I believe your questions have been answered. Take the key out, it's a safety factor.
  13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

when turning, turn extra wide.
    They told us hitting a curb was an automatic fail on the driving part. There was nothing super tricky on the driving test. We had done much worse in training. It was designed to show you had control of the vehicle at all times and were safe, and not that you could get thru some horrible tricky turn.

Also, the yard (backing) part of the test is so many points per event.
    You don't have to be perfect, if you miss a point on one exercise because you are mostly there, who cares? you still pass the test. They told us stories of guys who woudl keep pulling up (minus 1 point each time) to get it perfect and would then fail when they could have stopped after the first time and just moved on with life.

The object isn't a perfect score, the object is to pass the test.
  14. xtreem3d

thanks again you guys big help !! ....as of now i was planning on a class B no airbrakes, no trailer. I don't have access to an airbrake truck. i will probably be renting a truck from Hertz for the test. My truck isn't ready to pass inspection . I guess i might have to rent it for a couple to a few days to get used to it. Did most of you get the permit first and practice with a licensed rider? i didn't know hitting a curb was an instant fail, nor forgetting to take out the key.....what are some other instant fail scenario's? i don't remember seeing any listed in my packet,
    PS just curious...i haven't gone through the trailer booklet but will you be required to parallel park it and could i use my skid loader trailer?
  15. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

I took mine recently to get my A with air brakes. If at all possible, go for everything at once rather than putting yourself through the extra stress more than once. Little things like complete stops (behind the stop sign), checking mirrors, and looking both ways when crossing railroad tracks need to be paid attention to.
    As for turns, the biggest thing is making "proper" turns. Right-hand turns especially can get you an easy fail (ask me how I know). They want you to hug the right side curb, and then kind of hook out away from the curb at the last second. This does two things: seals off the turn lane so nobody can sneak up next to you and also positions you in such a way that will help you make the corner without danger of touching the curb. That is especially important when you have a trailer.
    Now for the fun part-the pretrip. Im not sure if its the same everywhere or not, but here the whole road test changed Sept. 1 with the main difference being the pretrip. Previously, it was just a quick walkaround but now you have to do a complete inspection. It would be worth checking to see if that is the case in your state as well.
  16. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I don't think you can get a class A license without the air brakes. You must test with the class of vehicle that you are testing for. The skid trailer will work if it has a weight rating of over 10,000 lbs and the truck is rated at over 26,000 lbs. You will not be allowed to test if you show up with a truck and you can't prove that someone with the correct license drove it there. You will also get deductions if you try look out the back window instead of using the mirrors. Good luck.
  17. acornish

acornish Senior Member

correct- class a requires air brakes,
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How are you going to rent a Class B truck without the license?
  19. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Don't you have someone local that does the testing and provides a truck for a fee? I took mine on a L8000 single axle with skiddy trailer. Can't remember the cost of the cdl test ($150), but I paid a independent company $100 for using the truck.
  20. xtreem3d

i will have him go with me when i rent it. but if it was 26,000 i wouldn't need him but could still take the class B test or not?