1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CDL or Not?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 77gmcserria, Oct 2, 2008.

1. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

I was looking at this truck and I asked the seller if you need a CDL to drive it, he said just register it under the weight limit and you wont need a CDL. Is that even legal? :confused:

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

No, but it might be until you stop on the highway for a weight/scale check!:rolleyes:

3. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

It is only illegal when you get caught!:)

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

What kind of truck? Does it have air brakes?

5. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

78 Ford LN8000, not sure if it has air brakes.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Look up the driver's license burearu in your state and that will tell you if you need a CDL.

Typically
    It's used commercially (some exceptions for farmers, fire trucks,etc)
    It's GVW is over 26,000lbs
    Or, you tow more than a 10,000lb trailer and the total of the trailer and the truck come to over 26,000 lbs (you could use a 20,000GVW truck adn tow a 10,000lb trailer and NOT need one)
    or there are rules on how big a combination vehicle can be (which are somewhat complex and vary by state)

But basically, over 26,000GVW, you need one.

7. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Yes it is over 26klbs GVW, but I don't what this guy was talking about, how can you register a truck under its rated GVW?

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What he said.

You can plate a truck for whatever you want, basically. All that does is limit the amount you can carry and\or tow. CDL requirement goes by actual GVW of truck and\or truck\trailer combo.

9. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Okay Thanks, it didn't really make sense.

10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

the guy might be telling you the truth. I have heard of that before just not sure if your state is that way. or maybe it used to be that way and laws changed. course even if you can do that if you ever fully loaded it you would need a cdl anyway so you couldnt utilize the truck to full capacity unless there are no weigh stations in your area, and dot doesnt have portable scales.. Chancy..
    ditto on check with your local d.o.t.

EDIT: Looks like when they changed the laws in 1986 to be in federal compliance the states you used to be able to do that in are no more.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if the GVW of the truck (manfacture GVW) is 26,001 or over you need a CDL.... Class B to be exact.......if you pull a trailer this would change...

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

This right out of a Wisconsin Commercial Drivers Manual

CDL is required when any of the following exceeds 26,001lbs

1-Manufacturer gross vehicle weight rating (gvwr)
    2-manufacturer gross combination weight rating (gcwr)
    3-actual weight
    4-registered weight

This should be the the same in every state

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  13. bribrius

wow guys. they had this covered before I even posted. I just remembered i had heard that somewhere and couldnt figure out if it was a federal law change or individual state laws.

14. Mark Oomkes

Isn't this what I said? :confused:

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

mark you talked about gvw only

you can license higher than gvw in certain applications

16. Mark Oomkes

Gotcha. That was because the OP was talking about plating lower to get out of CDL requirements, but you are correct. If you're going to pull a trailer, you pretty much have to plate it for higher GVW.

Good point.

17. bribrius

whatever. i failed that question on gvw when i took my class b test years back. that and the "can a tire blow out cause a fire?" question.
    still passed the test though.
    got me.......

course i also drove a truck from mass to montreal that had no reg and plates so im not the most observant person.........