1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CDL "A" question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Feb 12, 2013.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    When taking the Class A and doing the offset backing up with a trailer is it a fail if you have a :" pull up" ?
    Steve

2. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

I do not know about where you are, but in CO it is a point deduction for doing that. I do not know how many points you start out with and how many you have to keep to pass, but it is not an auto fail here.

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

In il your allowed to get out and look once and also allowed to pull ahead once and try again. They'll tell you what your allowed. I wish they would've had an actual "dock" to back up to. Although i passed my first time fine, backing up to a couple cones seemed dumb.

4. yoced

yoced Junior Member

echo what those folks said.
    Best bet is to ASK the boss/trooper/instructor - ahead of time if possible.
    And yeah, backing up into cones is very odd.
    Lucky for me I hit it the first time - lucky because I didn't know it was coming !

5. xtreem3d

Thanks for the help guys..I worded the question wrong , i meant to ask if it is a deduction not a fail,
    Steve

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I had the same setup for my test.

I took my test during the Midwest's version of a hurricane. Aside from getting a little wet it made it very easy since the instructor didn't want to be standing in the middle of the parking lot any longer then she had to be. Half of the course was under 2-4" of water so she judged some of my stuff from a distance where she wasn't standing in water and my pretrip/walk around was done from 75' away under the overhang of a building. :D

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

In Maine you get 3 tries at offset backing and ally docking and 2 tries at forward off set and 50' back up. I passed all of them with my first try.

8. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Do you have to disconnect and re connect the trailer or drop the trailer. They don't want you doing that here anymore. I guess a few ppl have not hooked them back up properly. Going to my class "A" soon.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't have to. I doubt the tester would have known if I did it right or wrong anyway.

10. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

How long have you had that international ?

11. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I duno was it 2 or 3 years I bought it off of you? I got my air brake certificate. That's half the battle.

12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

most of the tests it is points off, the key is dangerous actions...if you hit soomething during manuvers its an auto fail

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If you tell the instructor to go F*** yourself,it's also an auto fail.

14. xtreem3d

Maybe that's why some states allow you to get out and check the cones? Not sure if they do in MO...hopefully i drive well enough not to have to :eek:

15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

In MN you get a deduction, but its not an automatic fail.

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

That's just the verbage for "Have a nice day!" in New York, isn't it? Can't see you getting failed for that, maybe a +1.

17. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

I just got my class A a couple of weeks ago here in Massachusetts. For each driving test you can pull up 3 times and get out 3. We had the offset alley pull up and then back up over 100 feet, then pararell park in each direction and then alley dock. The troopers here are very picky about the air brake test. We were told " when in dout get out" if you didn't use your get out's and fail, then your basically an idiot and troopers do not like cocky drivers. JMHO. Matt

18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

NO,that would be NYC,the rest of NY I would like to think is kind of like,well Canada,you know what I mean,like laid back and mellow.:) Anyway,it's something I said about 36 years ago when I wasn't so nice and mellow as I am now.:laughing: Had to take my CDL a few towns over just in case word spread to other driving instructors.The plan worked.

19. xtreem3d

I am just guessing parallel parking especially to the passenger side is the hardest thing during the test?

Couple other questions......Can you just pass the written test to get,
    1. Hazardous
    2. Tank
    3. Passenger vehicle (not a school bus)

20. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

I took mine in PA back in 2008. Can't remember how many pull ups I was allowed, but I do know there was at least 1 without any points being deducted. T

he blind side parallel park was tough, it takes a lot of practice. The way a 5th wheel comes around is different than a normal bumper trailer. It takes a bit of extra time for it to start turning, but once it does, it turns fast. the key is to go at it at the correct angle, cut your wheels at just the right time and you'll end up in the spot perfect every time without any pull ups. Also, go VERY slow. No points are taken for how slow you go, so go as slow as possible. This will give you the most time to correct any errors. Also, don't try to over compensate with turning your wheels, just take it easy and use a "light touch" And did I mention to go slow?

Not 100% sure, but all the endorsements are just the written test. So air brakes, doubles/triples/tank, passenger etc is just the computer questions and if you have the class A already, you just get the endorsements added. Hazmat is a bit different. I think it's only good for a year, maybe 3 then you have to re-test. The other ones, once you get them, you keep them as long as your cdl is valid.

I personally don't use mine. I drove here and there part time for some extra $, but I don't drive for work or for my business. But I'll never let it lapse. I think in PA at least, if it expires, you'd have to do the whole process over. So even though it costs more $ every time I gotta renew it, ya never know when a cld will come in handy