1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cb S

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Mar 6, 2005.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Hey guys what are those things called that go onto a cb to get better range? I couldnt find the old post! :confused:

2. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

They are called Linears. I have a 100 watt unit my Father gave me about 17 years ago. I talk to my uncle in Ohio who has a similar unit. Im in Pennsylvania. Ive talked to people as far as north Carolina. Just be careful with those. you can fry antennas easily. And the FCC don't like them either. Heh Heh.

3. shooter

shooter Junior Member

Amps

HV and Xforce brand are the current hot ones out there. What ever power level you choose, make sure you have the right antenna, and the alternator to support their draw.

shooter

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

don;t use them at all. They're a waste of $$- get a good antenna and tune it right along with a good CB and that's all you need. I have talked to FL from MA on 3 watts!

Besides Linears are illegal.

5. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

Doubt it!!! Anyone knowing anything about Frequencies know that is practically impossible. But yes they are illegal!!

6. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

for sale

Hey i got a whole box load of cb stuff i dont use anymore. Dad was a over the road driver for 20 plus years and i got boxes full of new stuff that he sold to other drivers and now i have them stored away because we use company radios now so if anybody needs some stuff i got it all and i need to make some room so just drop me a line....

7. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

It is completely possible to talk all over the US with 3 watts. Amature radio operators have contests with what's called QRP radios and they talk all over with world with milliwatts.

An amp is nice, but it's not required. I agree, a good radio and a good antenna setup is the most important part. If you need more range THEN add an amp.

-Jay

8. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

ONLY ON SKIP!!

9. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

What do you have? e-mail me...interested.

10. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Agreed...but not if you're a ham! KF4ZPN :waving:

11. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

Ham is different than Cb. With Ham you can go alot further. but thats not the question.

12. doug96

doug96 Member

c-b's

how many plowers do you guys think still ues c-b's , it seems like VERY few ,
    ya know with the cel phone and 2 way radios.

unless your way way out with no reception

at least its still free
    i always wanted to get one, my cell is unrelyable

13. fernalddude

repo i will have to look at the boxs but got mobile and base sets linner's hand mikes and some classic sets

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I tried using CB's but no-one I ever plowed with had one that worked!
    Mine was tuned and ready but no one had one that worked!
    What a concept truck to truck close radio contact.

15. fernalddude

hey mick all my trucks had them back in the day LOL.. Just to show you how far we have come but i still use the same handle on the company radios and i made the drivers get one also just for my own fun :D

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

im gonna get a couple of 100wt linear for sh@ts and giggles

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ah, but linears are illegal for 11meters reguardless of if your a ham! You should make sure to diferentiate that.

And talking around the world is possible on 1 watt- I did the FL from MA, possibly with skip useing a Radio Shack TRC449 at 3 watts to a matched Shakespere Big Stick on the roof several years ago. I used to talk to other states (NH/RI) and western MA with the same radio mobil mounted in my truck off a 9' SS whip.
    It's all a matter of good gear, tuned properly, and antenna location.

KB1ENQ :waving:

18. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I have a 200 watter,rarely does it get turned on except when I'm up north hunting.Furthest I ever got out on it was Kentucky about 3:00 am .Yes they will fry antenna as a good friend of mine to contest...

19. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

I agree, just get a nice cb with a properly TUNED antenna. I can't stress the tuned antenna enough. Most people have no idea how important that is.

Stay away from illegal linear amps, etc. If you want more power apply for a license that will allow you to use higher powered equipment, or a Ham license. Shoot , we use FRS radios around here and they work just fine and everyone has them, and they are dirt cheap! And, those are only .5 watts. A nicely tuned cheap CB rig will go 5-10 miles easily if you need the extra distance. JMO

Todd, KB9YJL

20. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Anyone have any pics of thier cb set ups ?