1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cb Radios

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LawnProLandscapes, Jun 29, 2008.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

Any of you guys use cb's while plowing? i have one in my truck and my buddy that helps me has one to which makes it easier for on site communication while in the truck. also thinking of buying a couple cobra handheld cb's for being out of the truck on site or if i have someone helping without one in there truck... i just wish they cb's had a longer range for communicating in town but for that the cell phone is still king.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've got one in my truck but its rarely on. Only use it on the highway, no one around town to talk to.

3. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Don't waste your money on cb's . There junk we have two ways in each truck and my friends do. We don't used them that much we all use our cell phones.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have used them, but found the cheap hand helds to be usefull for side walk crews, or the "boost mobl" cell phones,.....work great...take ur old nextel ...with $20.oo u can use them as ur phone and 2 way radio..... i think iwas like $1.25 for the first chirp...then free for 24 hrs.....works great/.....invest $40 at he begining of the seaon.....per phone...and just givem out to those that work for you...i get like 15 of them going

5. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

We run fire/police radios in all of our trucks. Some are 2channel and some are 16channel. We get them through my dad who is Asst. Chief on the local FD. We have our own channel through the farm and we use it for plowing.

6. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

i like the boost mobile idea, can you have one open line so 3-4 people could all hear each other?

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

iv never done that but i assume u could and that it works just like a normal nextel

i think the charges are 10 cents per min on the phone and 1.25 for the first chirp on the 2 way....after that 24 hrs its free..... they can chirp ur existing nextel so for me it works great...i put 25 dollars on in Nov....and when they get low after 12 storms or so , just add more... good nation wide

8. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I don't think CB's are a good idea at all. Other people whom U mite not want to hear what should be for crew members only will be listening in. Would U want your competition to know if your having "problems" on a particular site? I wouldn't. Cell phones are best.

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We got Cb's and UHF Radios in all the trucks

10. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Go with the boost mobile. I got three guys that use boost plus alot of my buddies have nextel with two way so I can call them to. Its $1 a day for the whole day so its worth the investment. I bought two way radios and the signal died a mile down the road so dont waste your time with them.

11. LawnProLandscapes

nextel's coverage SUCKS in my area... i tried one of there phonees for a 30 day trial while i still had my verizon and it was no comparison, i had it for about 5 days before i returned that pile... im lookin for on site communication to coordinate multiple pieces of equip... i have no experience with boost mobile so i cant comment there, can you get one of them walkie talkie phones and just get the walkie talkie service without all the other junk? i still want my verizon phone because the coverage here is awesome...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  12. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Try getting some commercial radios and antennas on low band. Those will have great coverage and it will be easy to get a license since everyone is gone to high band, UHF or 800/900 trunk.
    This will give you up to 110 watts, which is a lot more power than the 5 watts that CB is limited to. The coverage will be similar.
    You will have to hunt around for radios at a good price. Look around at hamfests in your area, some lists are at http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html?dosel=1&subtype=section&selsect=ENY and http://www.ku4ay.net/hamfest.html

Jason

13. LawnProLandscapes

can you have multiple phones on a pre pay account? id probaly just buy a few phones to keep one in each truck and it would make life easier to just have one account.. also could i buy a used nextel walkie talkie phone and get boost mobile service?

they definately sound like a good idea for longer range communication but for on job sites id rather use the cb's...

14. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

No, the phones are carrier specific, especially Nextel. They have their own system on separate frequencies, never mind that they have their own protocol called iDen which isn't compatible with anything else.

15. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

i have the new buzz from nextel, its a srpint voice network with nextel and it works great, you can do multiple direct connect at once with it, the coverage got alot better i have a CB and i only use it on the highway

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok heres how boast mobil works

you need to get a phone from them, which run around $20.00 or you can (because i have ) use an old nexte phone

get as many as you want, I got one for each truck and for side walk shovlers as well

you must put down a min payment of $20, to get started..... this will activate the phone also... your $20 payment is good for 3 months, so u might have to add $10 in Feb to keep it going if you havnt already

The pricing was .. 10 cents per min on the phone, or $1.25 the first time you beep another(2way) , after the first beep, its free for 24 hrs

Yes this will beep current Nextel Activated Phones, yes it will beep other Boast phones, Im not sure about newer sprint phones,...and i dont think it will do other brands

The nice thing about this set up, is its easy to get into with out spending alot, if you already have an old nextel $20, is all u need There is no "range" they are good across the country , just like a regular nextel, so is the phone

I was lucky to get 5 miles out of my CB on a good day, and they werent cheap either, the other low band options are really nice too, but you still have a range issue if you cover multiple towns, and im not sure on pricing, but i bet they are not cheap

the bad side to this is, every year you will have to put down more money , but even after 4 or 5 yrs for me atleast this is still a cheaper option, Plus the guys could call for help if they got hurt, and if the phone is lost or damaged, its cheaper than a handheld low band

17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Nextel/sprint hybrid phone here. All the guys I plow with have them. Thats probly the most I use my phone is in the winter plowing. In my personal truck I have a Cb but its not even connected right now only use it on off road trips.

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Same here. If we merge with two other companies we all will have UHF's in all trucks.

19. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

there good to use you can have them peaked and tune or buy 100wt linear amp

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

i didnt know how well those amps work? how fare to they extend the range?

they sound payup