1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cb Radios

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Jan 9, 2005.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I am thinking of buying a couple Cb Radios for my trucks. What is the best possible range I can get on a CB saying you have a good unit and antena. I am also thinking about 2 ways also but allready have a couple CBs laying around my grandpa gave me they look like they never been used. They are Cobras he said some retired truck driver gave them to him. Let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

If you can go for the expenses.....Phone in each truck with "direct connect" I don't know wh at you call it in the states. It's the phones with 2 way radios. That way you can make phone calls plus radio ppl.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

CB's

I put cb's in all of my trucks. You can get 10/20 miles depending on what type of antenas. it also depend on whats around you. We run Ch 35 so we dont get walked on. We also 2-way's in our trucks. With a base unit in the office and here at home. With these we can talk just about accross the whole state. The Cb's are good when you work with subs that dont have your 2-ways.

4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

How much do the two ways run. I would need 4 of them and a base maybe a hand held or two. Do you run of you local repeater? Or do you have your own tower?

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

cb's

VHF Radios your looking at around $290 each for handhelds and about the same for your trucks. Depending on sets them up for you. you can use diffent types of bases. The county's is a phone with a mic. We just hooked up one out of a truck and set it up as a base unit.

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

10 miles is a strech. Its more like 5 miles at best. Its a waste of good money if you ask me.....Rob

7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

CB Radio..VS FM 2 way

We use FM 2 way for our communications. The drivers don't have to listen to anyone but our company. No distracting conversations that don't apply to our business. Some of the rigs have speech encryption in them so we can talk private. Beware there are people listening to your business. Don't say a thing on radio you would not want the competition to hear. Cell phones are to much of a distraction to dial.

Dave

8. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

skyking where did you get your radios from? Cost? Range? Do they run of the mogadore repeater?

9. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

FM Radios

Our repeater is located in Akron. Tri City Communications in Barberton has a 460 trunking system. Call him for more information. We changed repeaters from him as there was another snow plow company on his system and they were stealing our work. As an x ham radio operator I can listen to him any time any where. He cant listen to us and steal more work. The speach incription really works.

Dave

10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If your speach incription is not digital it can be hacked by running the audio through a ssb filter. I know ive seen it done. I just hope your using digital encription...Rob

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

CB's are good for 10/20 miles- if your only getting 5 miles range your either in really bad territory or have a bad setup (poor connections/ mismatched antenna, etc). On my base station I have talked several hundred miles away on a stock CB and no tower, same on mobile installs- I try to always use a 9 foot (1/4 wave) stainless whip on mobil installs. VHF radios also require FCC licenses which ads to the cost, if you don;t want to do CB (no reason not to really) then a cell phone like Nextel or Verizon with Direct Connect is the next cheapest choice.

12. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I just got a hard install kit for my Nextel and it now works just like a 2 way radio. It has an amplified speaker and a push to talk button that I mounted on the side of my plow control. The cradle hold the phone powers it and allows hands free operation. I have called guys who always complain when I use the speaker phone function and they couldn't tell that I was using the hands free mode. When I told them they were amazed at how good it sounded. I picked it up on ebay for 70.00 but new they are 200.00. Here is a pick of it mounted. The mic is mounted in the trim along the top of the door and you can see the speaker mounted next to the phone above the spreader control.

[​IMG]