1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cb radios

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher42, Aug 11, 2004.

1. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

does anywhere else use cb radios for comunications while plowing? what are the advantages/disadvantages-thanks

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Many people use Nextels now. I thought the range of cbs were very limited??? You'd have to be plowing pretty close to each other....

3. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I have a CB and a nextel...CB is free...but you got to have a darn good antenna for it to be worth using....

4. DJC

DJC Senior Member

we use Nextel:) saves on saying 10-4, over and out, message copyed and received;)

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I use nextels but down by the water in southwestern ct im thinking of getting a cb with a linear amp and 1000 wt antenna like a big stick

6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

We use CB's in lots and such. Not very good for any distance's, esp. during snowstorms. I want to get Nextel and be done with it. Have to wait till Jan for my contract to run out with Verizon. Great service but I really want the 2 way radio feature of Nextel.

7. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I n Phila, Nextel works great Nextel to Nextel, but we have trouble with the cellular service so we went back to Verizon.

8. PLOWMAN45

you put a 100wt or bigger linear amp in you can talk real far away

9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

we use cb's truck to truck on the same property and all of the crew leaders have nextel's

10. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

we use business band radio 12.50 per month talk all you want and every body hears, don't have to call 5 phones to tell every one same thing radios are not cheap but once your set up it beats the phones talks from one county to the next about 100 mile radius no body else on our channels

11. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I get 250-300 miles during a storm with just a 1000 watt linear amp

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

just so you guys know nextel isn't everywhere. if i had nextel it would be absolutly useless waste of money. thats why i have sprint it also has the walky they call it ready link.

13. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

hey Plowman....whats with these linear amps? Never heard of them. Whats the deal? What is the usual price? I'm new to the CB thing so gimme the run down, or anyone else that knows about them.

14. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

linear amps are illegal

15. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Illegeal huh? how does "one" aquire one or more of these cb "enhancement" devices?

16. PLOWMAN45

wolcott cb or even ebay sells them

17. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

where is wolcott cb? ebay huh? haveta check it out.

18. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

and your point is?

www.exportradios.com & ebay

19. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

ya, will someone explain linear amps to me?

20. PLOWMAN45

The cb puts out 4 watts and recieves 5watts they make linear amps in all diffrent sizes 100wt i have seen 1000 wt ones it increases your talk power big time its like tweaking your truck for max power