1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CB Radios in trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DBL, Jan 25, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

We were thinking of putting cb radios in our trucks and two other trucks of a friends. What do you guys think of cbs? do they work? how far do they go?
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we don't have cb's (yet). we use motorola 2 way radios (6). eight mile range is good for about 3/4 of a mile. they work great when we pair up in parking lots.
  3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i got one..love it, find out where the "bears" are and how bad traffic is...installation is easy..let me know if u want anymore info...but if you want truck to truck comunication i would go with a Business Band 2-way because CB's only have a 3-4 mile radius
  4. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

i got a cobra in my pickup. i only use it on the highway and talk to the truckers from traffic info and state trooper speed traps. if you want to communicate with a fleet of trucks, def go with the motorola 2 way. you can start with the cb but you'll figure out that it's not that clear over 3 miles.
  5. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

CB's are awesome, get the antenna matched when you install it and you'll go FAR.
    I grew up in the trucking industry and used to get the "skip" during snowstorms. We would be here in Maine and talk to people in North Carolina, I remember talking to a guy in Arizona, just a memory, haven't attempted it in a while now.
    But CB's are way better than those useless cellphones every idiot about to crash has plasted to their ear. :)
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

A CB is realistically only short to medium range, a business band radio is better, but still have 5 to 8 mile limitations unless you suibscribe to a repeater service or install a repeater system.

I was a cb nut as a teenager- talked all over the world through "skip" at times, but skip is dependant on sun spot effects and is not something to count on for communication.

for the most part They're cheap and effective, especially if you're only useing it for snow storm communication- if you need all year communication either go for business radios (requires a business license from the FCC) or get Nextel's.
  7. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

DON'T GET NEXTELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go with the business radios if you want to talk to each other. Go with the CB's if you want to talk to ther truckers.

8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

The guys I plow with use CB's and seem to be within 30 miles of each other, maybe even further, and can still communicate well. I've kicked it around a little bit. They're pretty inexpensive and I think Radio Shack has some decent ones.

As for Nextel, I have nothing bad to say. They work very well here (Cleveland) but if the guys you're plowing with don't have 'em, what's the point?
  9. dirt digger

hey Tom, if you want the name of a real good place to buy these things i have it he's right on 202...he sells everything..radios, antennas, speakers and everything in between...if you buy the antenna there he tunes it for free...let me know
  10. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

All employees of mine have Nextel phones. Wouldn't operate without them. Also, its kind of an unwritten rule in my area. If you plow, you have a Nextel and everybody has each other's number to call for help when needed.
  11. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I use vhf radios(2wave, 1\4 wave) they have an average of 30-60 mile range. and between me and the rest of my buddies(off road buddies) we have several repeaters. I can talk to my bud 130 miles away securely and clearly in any weather. have these in all my trucks and off road rigs. also have Cb's and Motorola radius(business band). If nextel were available in my area I ha have that as well.
  12. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

We are the same way we have more than enough nextels for our employees and so far they have not let us down!

our trucks use 2 way communication due to they get spread out all over and i can run my other business at the same time .
  13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

we all have nextels but i was looking for cbs for everone to hear whats going on adn to get everones input total there would be 6 trucks with them on during the storms and max 15 -20 miles apart.

Hey Brian are you talking about that guy on 202 right by jimmy johns with the big sign saying cbs
  14. dirt digger

yea..thats him..chadds ford electronics or something like that. I bought my CB at radioshack but i got my antenna, cable, and toolbox mount from him. Great guy..he really knows what he's talking about. I went with a KBX (i believe) antenna...it can bend all the way down so the tip touches the base, great for driving under low trees and what not.

heres a pic of the radio and antenna

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

It's alright, as long as you know others with it too. But I find it's good in my hometown because the public works use cb's and I can stay in touch with the boys on the plow/dump truck, and loader. Plus, it's good for asking the truckers what the highway is like where they just came from.

Pic below of my setup. jammed between the seat and console, no holes drilled.

16. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

alright thanks a lot guys for all the input im gonna stop by radio shack and brian the other place on 202 and check out prices tomorrow
    thanks again tom
  17. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

First of all I have a so called "cb" and I am also a HAM operator. It depends what type of CB you install and also the antenna. If you get a nice Gallaxy or Connex and a good Wilson or Astatic antenna you can talk rather far if you have farily flat land. However if you are in the Mt's like me get a licenses and get a couple of VHF commercal 50 Watt raidos with 3/4 wave antennas and you can effectavly talk 30 or 40 miles just depends on how envolved you want to get if you have any q's just e-mail me at jplacka@yahoo.com
  18. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Hey MIAWPUKEK, I don't know about in Newfoundland, but here in the US it's illegal to have a suicide (sometimes refered to as a 'necking' knob) knob installed in a car. Only in off road vehicles. This is because cars can easily be rolled over with one.

POWERBAND Member

CB's are the Hillbilly Cellphone. It's a PARTY LINE cellphone - 'kinda...

I like the CB in my plow truck because I know most of the guys runnin around with plows on the back roads during and after the storms and can talk to and hear each other. A really good reason also is that even my cheap Rat Shack unit has NOAA weather radio with the cool synthesized female voice to listen to while I'm plowin' .

Powerband :cool:
  20. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

my dad bought me a cobra cb radio that is all in the handheld thing which is pretty cool and i bought an atenna with a magnetic mount that i put on the roof, i installed it last week with my dad and havent been on the highway yet to use it but my friend with a jeep has one and we go offroading so maybe we can use it then