1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CB Radio's ( first generation Internet )

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Eyesell, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Was thinking about installing a CB radio in my truck for something to listen to during long plowing events....

Just wondering a couple of things, where are you all mounting them in your trucks these days, a couple of pics would be great.

Second, are you listening to them during plowing or talking with fellow plowers, etc..I would be interested in the ability to remove it along with the antenna from time to time as well. If you have any recommendations that would be great.

Thanks guys
  2. ajbernie

ajbernie Member
    from Maine

:drinkup:here is the link to a thread that has alot of pictures of peoples setup inside their cabs, including CB Radio configuration its a pretty good thread and you can ask your questions there and im sure they will be answered, hope this helps:drinkup:

3. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I have a Cobra 29 in my truck with a 3ft fiberglass antenna mounted in a stake pocket. I am about to send my Cobra 148GTL off to have it tuned up and tweaked and peaked and then it's going back into the truck in place of the 29. I normally do not have mine on unless I am traveling and then I keep it on 19 which is were truckers normally chatter back and forth.

4. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

If you do put one in just don't be surprised when ya get the old " I aint got no panties on"
  5. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Got a Uniden PC78 and a Wilson 5000 mag mount whip in my F350. Mine has the Weather Band, so that comes in handy. I spend more time listening than yakking.

6. highridge

highridge Member

Heres my setup. Obviously this only works if you have 99-04 superduty, but its an idea. I always keep mine on when I'm traveling(I do about 4-500 miles a week) and usualy shut it off while plowing because it will pick up inteference from all my strones once and a while.
  7. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

highridge, who makes that lower dash panel?. I have never seen one before. Did it come from an emergency vehicle like a fire truck or ambulance?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  8. highridge

highridge Member

9. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Thanks!, that might be just what I need for my F350.
    Darn, they don't have Denim Blue!
  10. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

I have a cobra 29 classic and a 3ft fire stick on my truck. I usually don't have it on during snow events cause i don't know too many people around me that have them but it's a great idea. Much easier to use a mic than a cell phone. I get a picture up as soon as I can.
  11. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Guy I've been doing sub work for has them in everything, including skid loaders. Very handy when you have multiple pieces on a larger lot.
  12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Yep, I have one in every one of my machines and trucks. It is nice to be able to grab the mic and get a skidder over to the spot where you need him quickly.
  13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I've seen that link, even posted in it, just not all about CB radios. Thanks for all the information from everyone else, last question...

What's the best place to order one online and do you have a model that is better than another..?

Guess I'm asking PRO's and CONS

Thanks again Guys !Thumbs Up
  14. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

i have a police scanner mounted in my truck and i hear everything going on with the towns plow trucks and emergency vehicles.. when it snows, its non stop conversation and its fun to listen to. the antenna is mounted to the scanner itself so i don't have an exterior mounted antenna to worry about.
  15. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

16. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Does he have CB's or 2-ways? All of the guys I plow with have 2-ways. You have to have a tower at your shop but you dont get chatter from other people. Its really nice to be able to talk back and forth almost instantly.
  17. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I also have a scanner but what channels do you scan or how do you find the channels

18. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

You have to pay for this service. CB is free besides the initial purchase.
  19. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

2 ways are nice, but usually its not too hard to find a CB channel that isnt being used.

We used to often run decent sized convoys of trucks 6-8 hours north to go snowmobiling, and we all had cb's to keep track of what was going on, if you saw anything going on with someones trailer......telling the nitwit that just passed you and was slowing down to get the hell out of the way before you ran them over, etc. We always ran on channel 1 and rarely would run into any traffic.
  20. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

heres a link, you can find anywhere you want. when you choose your state then area, the frequency is called the "control point" which you will see on that page. that is the frequency that you need to program into your scanner.

lemme know if you have anny questions Thumbs Up