1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CB Radio

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Nov 14, 2004.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I am looking to install a CB radio in each of my trucks. I think it would easier to communicate with my help (my brother) in the other truck with out using the cell phone. What would be a good brand/model to look at? is this a good idea? Thank You
  2. My group is looking into the new gmrs radios that have a range of up to 10 miles now. We like the idea do to less traffic on the air waves and all can run the same channel, and they're also small handheld units. Just an idea :rolleyes:
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

It all depends on how far apart you are going to be, the average CB is only good for a couple of miles but if your working in the same area it really helps with making sure things are getting done but also having someone just to B.S. with makes the night go faster.

As for brand or model, all depends on how much you want to spend. Start at $30.00 at Walmart and go on up to $500.00+. I bought a radio at Radio Shack for under $100.00 with the weather bands in it and a decent antenna and never had a problem with it. The biggest thing is getting the antenna matched to the radio, a unmatched antenna gets/gives a poor signal and eventually burns out the finals in the radio.
  4. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Where on the net can I find the specs on gmrs with a 10 mile range?
    Thank You
  5. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

I have a Texas Ranger CB radio. Got it tweaked at this cb shop and I have reached friends 30 miles away on a clear night! If you have any truck stops near you stop in and see if they have a cb shop. You could always use Nextel Direct connect too. I use my cb more as a radar detector then anything else.
  6. Check out Midland's website, I think they have the best units :waving:

Or better yet, search for gmrs on Ebay, like 400 sets on there now.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  7. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

RhinoHD, I doubt any of the "tweaking" the CB shop did had anything to do with you're talking 30 miles away.. More like the CB is actually in the HF bands and at night, the distance you can talk increases greatly due to tropospheric conditions.. A better antenna beats any kind of "tweaking" or amplifier any day of the week..

I have a VHF/UHF rig in my truck as well as a CB and a scanner.. If I need help, I turn on my VHF and use 2 meter amateur band to get it.. CB just doesn't do it these days.. The CB is in my truck to talk to the other plowers or dump truck drivers in my immediate area.

As for GMRS, 10 miles is in a perfect condition.. Some may get more, some less..

I know I've read where a lot of plowers are going to the new Nextel cellular phones that work like walkie talkies.. That's probably your best bet without needing an amateur radio license.

Just my two cents..

Paul Jordan
    Extra Class Amateur Radio Operator
  8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

We run VHF mobile & portable radios, which I have a license for. We have a base repeater & talk around frequency. We use the talk around most of the time for the trucks & the repeater really helps out with the portables. In my opinion, radios have improved the efficiency of my business. Well worth the money. These radios are also used for our volunteer fire department.
  9. rolandpell

rolandpell Junior Member

CB Radios

The best place i found to find CB's is on ebay . I always feel the older they are the eaiser it is to tweak . The one I'm using is from 1979 and I can talk up and down the eastcoast with it . But like one of the other members stated you have to have a good ant and a good match to it or it will be like two tin cans on a string. have fun
  10. GVLawnCare

GVLawnCare Junior Member

My vote is for Nextel. Direct Connect is awesome. They also make phones now that have Direct Talk. It is like direct connect except it uses no towers, so it will work in areas with no cellular service. You can have "private" conversations, or "Group" conversations. Here is the link for directtalk.

11. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

Oh Yea the fact I have a wilson 5000 antenna helps. It was at night and my radio is pushing around 30 watts. But I do get out pretty good. We plow in an upscale neighborhood and always a few blocks away from one another so it works out well. We only use them because we have them for our ATV roadtrips. I would recomend nextel for business again...